Unanswered: Problems with New Sql Server registration

HI,
    I have SQL Server 2000 Evaluation running on Win 2k Pro, and i'm trying to register/connect to my webhost's Sql Server through my Enterprise Manager.

I followed the exact instructions that my webhost sent to me as follows:
    1) open the Client Network Utility which comes with SQL 2000
    2) Make sure that the default network library is set to TCP/IP on
    the general tab
    3) add a server alias by clicking add
    4) type in xxx.xxx.xxx.xx then click ok and apply the changes

Next you need to add our SQL server in Enterprise Manager:
    1) right click on SQL Server Group
    2) Click New SQL Server Registration
    3) choose to use the wizard your first time doing this and click next
    4) in available servers, type in xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx and click add and
    next
    5) Click the SQL server login from the connection options
    6) Enter the username and password you were given/requested
    7) Click add the SQL server to an existing server group and choose
    one
    8) Click finish

I keep getting the error "SQL Server does not exist or access denied."
    my web host says the problems seems to be with what I'm doing , as we've tried 2 separate IP address's and it seems to run fine on their end.

Is there anything i can do to trouble shoot this ?
    I'm at a complete loss now.

Thanks for any help!!

Re: Problems with New Sql Server registration

I'm a little puzzled by the instruction to add a server alias. My understanding was that a server alias was to allow you to convert a name to an IP address (a mini DNS lookup on your PC). Why you would have to enter the IP address into the server alias screen and then re-enter the IP address in the connection screen is a bit perplexing to me.

Some things to check:
    1. Can you ping the designated IP address?
    2. Are you attempting to access the web host SQL server from behind a firewall? If so, is port 1433 open to traffic (and if so, why!?!?)?
    3. I have also found that putting an entry in the LMHOST file under WINNT\SYSTEM32\DRIVERS\ETC will work. If you've never played with it, though I would not necessarily recommend this as option one.

Hope this helps.

Hugh Scott

Originally posted by dougwood
    HI,
    I have SQL Server 2000 Evaluation running on Win 2k Pro, and i'm trying to register/connect to my webhost's Sql Server through my Enterprise Manager.

I followed the exact instructions that my webhost sent to me as follows:
    1) open the Client Network Utility which comes with SQL 2000
    2) Make sure that the default network library is set to TCP/IP on
    the general tab
    3) add a server alias by clicking add
    4) type in xxx.xxx.xxx.xx then click ok and apply the changes

Next you need to add our SQL server in Enterprise Manager:
    1) right click on SQL Server Group
    2) Click New SQL Server Registration
    3) choose to use the wizard your first time doing this and click next
    4) in available servers, type in xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx and click add and
    next
    5) Click the SQL server login from the connection options
    6) Enter the username and password you were given/requested
    7) Click add the SQL server to an existing server group and choose
    one
    8) Click finish

I keep getting the error "SQL Server does not exist or access denied."
    my web host says the problems seems to be with what I'm doing , as we've tried 2 separate IP address's and it seems to run fine on their end.

Is there anything i can do to trouble shoot this ?
    I'm at a complete loss now.

Thanks for any help!!

thanks hmscott,
    well I pinged the address successfully. I don;t know much about firewalls so does that mean that I am not hindered by any firewall, or does that just tell me that the host address is valid ?

i'm beginning to think that they are giving me the wrong username and password or something.
    Don't ever use setupsite.com. I've had nothing but problems with them !!

I haven't tried your last suggestion but It looks scary!!

That you are able to ping the site successfully simply means that it is a valid IP address; it does not mean anything about a firewall.

I doubt very much that it is a userid/password issue. Your SQL clients can't "see" the SQL Service that is running on the destination IP. That can mean either that the SQL Service is not running on that IP, or that you are prevented from seeing the SQL Service because port 1433 is being blocked. How are you connecting to the network (internet connection via dial-up ISP? internet via DLS/cable? internet through a company-owned network?)? If it is the latter case, then you are likely contending with a firewall issue.

There are some tools that you can download from the internet to help:
    • 1. SQL Ping (helps locate SQL server)
      2. WhatsRunning (sp?) (helps determine all valid services running on an IP)

There are probably some others that I am overlooking.

Try removing the alias entry in your SQL Network set up. Then try connecting using SQL Query Analyzer and use the plain IP Address. If that does not work, then I'm sort of out of options -- my knowledge once you get down to the network level is woefully inadequate.

Regards,

Hugh Scott

PS. The LMHOST option isn't scary, but it is very much hidden from view and it's easy to forget that you have made the entries. Then it can become difficult to diagnose/troubleshoot problems that come up later.

thanks hmscott,
    well I pinged the address successfully. I don;t know much about firewalls so does that mean that I am not hindered by any firewall, or does that just tell me that the host address is valid ?

i'm beginning to think that they are giving me the wrong username and password or something.
    Don't ever use setupsite.com. I've had nothing but problems with them !!

I haven't tried your last suggestion but It looks scary!!

hmscott,
    thanks so much. for some weird ass reason, I got it to work after I deleted the Alias from Client Network Utility ???!!!
    sort of bizarre huh?
    I just went directly to Enterprise Manager, right clicked on my SQL Server group and New SQL Server Registration, typed in the IP and went through the rest of the Wizard and it worked fine.

thanks so much for your time, you saved me many hours of pulling my hair out and waiting for my lame webhost to get in touch with me!!
    cheers.

Glad to help...

hmscott,
    thanks so much. for some weird ass reason, I got it to work after I deleted the Alias from Client Network Utility ???!!!
    sort of bizarre huh?
    I just went directly to Enterprise Manager, right clicked on my SQL Server group and New SQL Server Registration, typed in the IP and went through the rest of the Wizard and it worked fine.

thanks so much for your time, you saved me many hours of pulling my hair out and waiting for my lame webhost to get in touch with me!!
    cheers.