Post Unanswered: Defered Index Creation

Currently working with a database with roughly 120 million rows and need to create multiple indexes.

Drive space is plenty, and would prefer to make one scan across the data to build these new indexes.

How does one defer the commit of index creation till the commit has been issued. Option of unloading and reloading the data is not an option since the data is roughly 45 gig and already contains roughly 20 indexes on it as it (DW, massive drive space, and no transactions, so I can get away with being greedy)

I have tried "db2 +c -tvf so_script_file" with no success.

System: Linux
    DB2: v8.1 WGE

Thanks

Re: Defered Index Creation

in order to explicity commit use the following flag:

db2set db2options=+c

then issue your create index statement.

dollar

Originally posted by Viffer
    Currently working with a database with roughly 120 million rows and need to create multiple indexes.

Drive space is plenty, and would prefer to make one scan across the data to build these new indexes.

How does one defer the commit of index creation till the commit has been issued. Option of unloading and reloading the data is not an option since the data is roughly 45 gig and already contains roughly 20 indexes on it as it (DW, massive drive space, and no transactions, so I can get away with being greedy)

I have tried "db2 +c -tvf so_script_file" with no success.

System: Linux
    DB2: v8.1 WGE

Thanks

Alas, same result. It will not defer the creation of the indexes, but rather start building them.

Originally posted by dollar489
    in order to explicity commit use the following flag:

db2set db2options=+c

then issue your create index statement.

dollar

To my understanding you don't want to create index right away as table is large and on the DB2 side I don't think there is any option of deferring the index creation (I think Oracle does).

One solution though; why not schedule a job to execute at night? This way it won't affect your users.

dollar
    Originally posted by Viffer
    Alas, same result. It will not defer the creation of the indexes, but rather start building them.