Unanswered: Tools for Stored Procedures

We are using DB2 AS/400 V5R1 and have been using the Operations Navigator to create SQL Stored Procedures, which is really limited. I've read about the stand alone Stored Procedure Builder and the UDB Client Development Tools. Are these the tools I should be looking at? Where can I download them? Basically I need some better interfaces to create, edit and debug stored procedurs from a PC (XP) computer. As you can tell, I'm not a AS400 guy so I not sure how to procede. We are doing ASP .NET development using the HitSoftware OLEDB driver and have been passing in dynamic SQL which works fine, but now we would like to switch over to SQL stored procedures. As I mentioned before, I can get the SP's to work, but can't believe there is not a better inteface then the SQL Assist and the Operations Navigator.

Any help would be greatly appreciated...

Thanks,
    Chris

Provided Answers: 5
    Chris,
    As far as I know, the Stored Procedure Builder (SPB) became available on Ver 7 of DB2. It has been replaced by the Development Center in Ver 8.1. These "tools" come with the Development Clients (DC) for their respective versions (i.e the SPB comes with the DC for Ver 7.x, etc).

I do not know if the DC for ver 7 or 8 will work with ver 5. If you want
    to try it, I suggest you do it on a machine that is for "testing" purposes.

I cannot find where you can just download the DC, but you can download the Personal Developer's Edition starting at:

http://www7b.boulder.ibm.com/dmdd/

Goto the downloads section to find it.

HTH

Andy

Thanks for the reply Andy...

I've tried installing 8.1 Development Center but can't figure out how to connect to the database. We can connect using the HitSoftware driver with .NET and SQLServer (Linked Server) and execute SQL fine. When I try to configure the Database connection I've setup up the following:

Protocol: TCP/IP
    Host Name
    Service Name
    Port
    Database Name
    Database Alias
    Operating System: OS/400
    Remote Instance Name (Node Options): ??????
    System Name (System Options): ??????
    DCS Options: ?????

I'm not sure what goes into some of these fields.

When I try to test the connect, it just hangs and never comes back.

The operations navigator sees the tables and stored procedures, but I can't figure out how to get the Development Center to connect.

Regarding the Personal Developer version, do I also need the DB2Connect piece? Will I just be able to install the tools and not DB2 on my box?

Thanks,
    Chris

Chris,
    Are you using the Configuration Assistant to set up the connection?

Try:
    Host Name= name of the computer (or address) of the DB2 server
    Service Name= instance name
    Port=port db2 is using (on linux=50000)
    Database Name=obvious
    Database Alias=obvious
    Remote Instance Name (Node Options): try the instance name
    System Name (System Options): same as host name
    DCS Options: do not configure

The Personal developer's edition should not require DB2 Connect. Since you already have a DC for V 8.1, you should not need this anyway.

Andy

Originally posted by cws
    Thanks for the reply Andy...

I've tried installing 8.1 Development Center but can't figure out how to connect to the database. We can connect using the HitSoftware driver with .NET and SQLServer (Linked Server) and execute SQL fine. When I try to configure the Database connection I've setup up the following:

Host Name
    Service Name
    Port
    Database Name
    Database Alias
    Remote Instance Name (Node Options): ??????
    System Name (System Options): ??????
    DCS Options: ?????

I'm not sure what goes into some of these fields.

When I try to test the connect, it just hangs and never comes back.

The operations navigator sees the tables and stored procedures, but I can't figure out how to get the Development Center to connect.

Regarding the Personal Developer version, do I also need the DB2Connect piece? Will I just be able to install the tools and not DB2 on my box?

Thanks,
    Chris

I'm using the Configuration Assistant to set up the connection like this:

Host Name= AS400
    Service Name= as-database
    Port=8471 (verified with the Retrieve button)
    Database Name=AS400db
    Database Alias=AS400db
    Remote Instance Name (Node Options): How do I figure out the instance name?
    System Name (System Options): AS400
    DCS Options: not configured

Also, should I be using Client authentication on the security options page? I know these are probably lame questions, but no one here knows much about the AS400 from the database SQL side, only the RPG side of things.

Thanks,
    Chris

Andy,

With the Personal Developer edition, the download lists 2 different ones:

DB2 Personal Developer's Edition (DB2 UDB PE for Windows)

and

DB2 Personal Developer's Edition (DB2 Personal Developers Edition)

Is the first one for DB2 on a windows platform? Does the AS400 version V5R1 correspond to the version of DB2 or is that something separate.

Thanks,
    Chris

Chris,
    Use server side authentication. This way username/passwords are configured in just one place (the server) not on each client.

Andy

Originally posted by cws
    I'm using the Configuration Assistant to set up the connection like this:

Host Name= AS400
    Service Name= as-database
    Port=8471 (verified with the Retrieve button)
    Database Name=AS400db
    Database Alias=AS400db
    Remote Instance Name (Node Options): How do I figure out the instance name?
    System Name (System Options): AS400
    DCS Options: not configured

Also, should I be using Client authentication on the security options page? I know these are probably lame questions, but no one here knows much about the AS400 from the database SQL side, only the RPG side of things.

Thanks,
    Chris

Chris,

The first one is for Windows, The second is for Linux.
    If you already have the Development Client, which it appears you do, you will not need these. The Development Client has the SPB/Development Center as part of it.

Andy

Originally posted by cws
    Andy,

With the Personal Developer edition, the download lists 2 different ones:

DB2 Personal Developer's Edition (DB2 UDB PE for Windows)

and

DB2 Personal Developer's Edition (DB2 Personal Developers Edition)

Is the first one for DB2 on a windows platform? Does the AS400 version V5R1 correspond to the version of DB2 or is that something separate.

Thanks,
    Chris

Re: Tools for Stored Procedures

with WebSphere you can create and debug stored procedures..... we do it, and it's easy...

Originally posted by cws
    We are using DB2 AS/400 V5R1 and have been using the Operations Navigator to create SQL Stored Procedures, which is really limited. I've read about the stand alone Stored Procedure Builder and the UDB Client Development Tools. Are these the tools I should be looking at? Where can I download them? Basically I need some better interfaces to create, edit and debug stored procedurs from a PC (XP) computer. As you can tell, I'm not a AS400 guy so I not sure how to procede. We are doing ASP .NET development using the HitSoftware OLEDB driver and have been passing in dynamic SQL which works fine, but now we would like to switch over to SQL stored procedures. As I mentioned before, I can get the SP's to work, but can't believe there is not a better inteface then the SQL Assist and the Operations Navigator.

Any help would be greatly appreciated...

Thanks,
    Chris