Unanswered: Datafile fragmentation

Hi Oracle gurus!

I was hoping someone might be able to give me some advice or point me in the right direction...

I've recently done some maintenance work on one of our machines (RAID 5, Win2K o/s) and this included installing Oracle 9.1.0 and importing some schemas.
    I created a 2gb datafile and ran a defrag, and it all looked nice and contiguous. However, as soon as I started importing data, the new datafile fragmented heavily and defragmenting doesn't help.

I'll be the first to admit there's a lot I don't know, so if there's a simple answer to this problem I'd be greatly appreciative if someone would share it with me!

Reading, UK
    If you mean the datafile grew after you imported data and thus created fragments in the file system then the solution would be to create a bigger initial datafile and also set a larger autoincrement size for the datafile.

California, USA

Next time when taking export use compress=y . That should take care of the import fragmentation.

Hope that helps,

clio_usa - OCP - DBA

Many thanks for the responses!

AllanP - Yes, this is pretty much exactly what I mean - after importing data to the newly created file, the file system became fragmented.
    Sorry, I should've mentioned in my initial post that I had created a 2gb datafile knowing that the total data would be around 1.5gb, so datafile growth wasn't really a factor in disk fragmentation.

clio_usa - All the exports are done with compress=y, so that doesn't seem to be the problem. But it was good advice anyway.