Unhappy Unanswered: Displaying Chinese Characters

Displaying Chinese Characters
    I am designing a website that needs to be bilingal English/Chinese. I decided to create a MySQL table to hold page contents with a field called language with values en or cn.

I have two PHP pages, one queries on all records with en and has a character set "iso-8859-1" the other queries on all records with cn and has a character set "gb2312".

I have decided to enter the data using an Access database linked to the MySQL database using MyODBC. When I enter english characters all works fine. when I enter chinese charcters, they initially display fine on my PC as chinese characters, but once the record has been entered these are replaced with ?? symbols.

The question marks appear to originate from the MySQL database because they show up in the Access database, the online chinese page and using PHP MyAdmin.

Does anyone know a way around this problem?

the next version of mysql i.e. 4.1 supports unicode and utf -8 character set ,hope this version will solve your problem .
    I had the same problem ,the previous version does not support bylingual data.

Unhappy

In the meantime, I still need to be able to display chinese characters some way.

I could create a second database for the chinese characters and refer the chinese pages only to this. But how do I get MySQL to display chinese characters?

you can use the set command for setting the character set of the database.

I am not familiar with the set command. My host supplies me with a server with MySQL pre-configured and allows me to create up to 10 databases via a PHP MyAdmin control panel.

I do not unfortunately have any command line interface with MySQL.

Does the set command operate on the MySQL application. IE would all databases created thereafter be in Chinese or does it work on a specific database?

Can it be invoked through SQL or through a PHP MyAdmin control panel, or does it need to be administered by command line.

Thanks for your help

mysql unicode support and odbc

Hi everyone,
    I am using asp.net + myodbc 3.51 and mysql 4.1 alpha.

As you know there is a unicode support in mysql 4.1 but unfortunately if you use odbc drivers you don't have any luck. Because MyODBC 3.51 doesn't support unicode. I think they are waiting for mysql 4.1 production release to add unicode support.

If anyone knows a solution please let me know.

Karahan Celikel