Smile Unanswered: Automatic Offline backup

Hi,

I have serveral databases on my Winodws 2000 machine. I am using DB2 EE v7.2 fixpack 8.

I would like to automate offline backup of one database (e.g. "X") and all other databases must mork normaly.
    I would like to use some kind of command: force application all from database "x". Then execute an offline backup.
    Is there any way to do this?

Thanks for help,
    Grofaty

Re: Automatic Offline backup

You can use the following command:

db2 force applications all

but this command will affect all other database connections as well. So the better way is to use

db2 list applications all

command and note down the application handle for specific database, in this case the one you want to backup and then issue

db2 force applications (apphandle1, apphandle2.......apphandlen)

This is bit tedious but wil work.

dollar

Originally posted by grofaty
    Hi,

I have serveral databases on my Winodws 2000 machine. I am using DB2 EE v7.2 fixpack 8.

I would like to automate offline backup of one database (e.g. "X") and all other databases must mork normaly.
    I would like to use some kind of command: force application all from database "x". Then execute an offline backup.
    Is there any way to do this?

Thanks for help,
    Grofaty

Hi,

I am familar with your answer, but my quastion is: how to automate the proces?

I don't want to manualy enter apphandle parameters. I am doing it now, but I would like to get rid of this with automatisation proces.

Is there any way to automate offline backup proces?

Thanks,
    Grofaty

Originally posted by dollar489
    You can use the following command:

db2 force applications all

but this command will affect all other database connections as well. So the better way is to use

db2 list applications all

command and note down the application handle for specific database, in this case the one you want to backup and then issue

db2 force applications (apphandle1, apphandle2.......apphandlen)

This is bit tedious but wil work.

dollar

Well, DB2 does not provide a command to force off the applications of a single database.

I had this problem and had written a shell-script on Unix using the command
    list applications for database <dbname>

used awk to get the app-handles and forced off one application at a time ..

I'm sure you can write a similar script for Windows ...

Another issue when forcing off the applications is the asynchronous nature of the command, ie, your control returing to the command line after issuing the 'force' command doesn't indicate that the applications have been forced ... You will have to handle that as well, if you are planning to automate offline backups ....

HTH

Cheers

Sathyaram

Originally posted by grofaty
    Hi,

I am familar with your answer, but my quastion is: how to automate the proces?

I don't want to manualy enter apphandle parameters. I am doing it now, but I would like to get rid of this with automatisation proces.

Is there any way to automate offline backup proces?

Thanks,
    Grofaty