Unanswered: Need help designing my DB for a DVD manager

Hi guys,

First of all, I'd like to introduce myself. I'm new on this forum, and I thought I would join you guys and try to help as much as I can to get this board bigger than ever. I'm sure that you are all pro in DB (I'm not, but trying to learn) and I might need your help a little.

I had some spare time lately and I decided to make myself a little program that would manage a personal DVD collection. I'm not planning to make it a big thing but I'd like to have all the necessary information on it... like really all the info

I am stuck at the first stage of my development. My Access 2002 DB creation. I want to make sure that I do my developement correctly. Since I ain't an expert, I thought why not asking expert. They might help me on how to develop my DB properly.

So, first, to be honest with you, I'm a newbie at this. I have some good basis but I couldn't consider myself someone in the field yet. That is the main reason why I'm asking you this. I'll explain what I wanna do out of my project and you'll let me know if you can help me on my design.

Here we go...

I want to build a DVD manager program with an access DB. In this DB, I would like store all the necessary information my program may need.

• DVD Title
    • DVD Information such as (Features of the DVD, Video ratio aspect, Audio contained on the DVD (ex: ENGLISH: Dolby Digital 5.1 [CC]), Subtitles, Date of the release on DVD, Packaging of the DVD (ex: Snap Case), Disc type of the DVD (ex: DS-SL), How many chapters this DVD contains, DVDEmpire's Item Code (Used in the program mainly), UPC code of the DVD (ex: UPC Code: 012569500921))
    • The Film Information... that's the hard part for me... (Cast containing the actors, directors, writers, producers, studio, production year, dvd year, length, etc. .etc .etc)
    • DVD genre (horror, action, comedy, etc.)
    • Synopsis
    • etc.

So far, I've been able to normalise my tables for the DVD contain, but for the casting, I've got much more problem. I don't know how to get all my DB working so that after, I can do search by actors, writers, etc.

In short, I would like you to help me on the developing of my DB to normalise it the more as possible so that I can easily insert information in it and therefore, be able to search it with even the most useless details.

Here is what I've got so far. I have no clue how to go for the rest, but since you guys are more experience in the field, I'm hoping you may help me in normalising it to the max. I'm even willing to work by MSN/ICQ/IRC if needed. This project is really important to me...

So, I'll be waiting for help from you guys...

And mostly, THANKS A LOT!

Alright, after rethinking the whole thing, I've came with this new view of my tables. Hope someone will feel like helping me.

Image is here:

Funny thing...I am doing the same project for my mother. First of all, you have to many tables. I found if you put all the names in one table you eliminate all the extra tables. ie: directors, actors, and so forth. The reason why I did this is because according to true relational database design you should have the core data stored only once. Remember, Sylvester Stalone is a writher, director, producer, and actor.

Let me know what you think. HTH!
    Don't do today, what can be done tomorrow.

Well, you are right. At first, I kept it really simple and put it all in the same database. It's when I went on another board that I began to think about reusability and to normalize at max my DB. They told me to use IDs all the way, and make it at its lowest form as possible. The reason why I'm doing this is because I wanna make it as deep as possible. So, let's say you are searching by actors, you can go more deeply in it than just by using the one table.

But if you have better suggestiont to me, please, let them come. We might wanna try to help each other on this project since we're doing almost the same one.

You can contact me by email at any time.