Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Unanswered: Many db's for one mdw

is there a way to set up the user level security to allow access to more than one database? I need help with a front end back end situation.
    Regards
    Jim

Are you using one MDA file? If so then simply set the rights to both databases.

I think I may have not understood your question.

Originally posted by johncameron

im using a mdb file for the core database. I have already set up the user level security on that file because the client had to have it. Now im going back and cleaing up the user interface and creating a second database as a front end. I cant link any of the tables from the original db to the new db. So I need to know how to link the databases together or how to add multiple db's to one mdw file.
    Hope this helps clear it up
    Jim

ps what is a mda file?
    Jim

I'm still not totaly clear with what you mean but I'll guess.

You've got 2 databases. One has the data in it and a front end. the other is a working copy that you are altering and what you need to do is set up the securities to allow access to the first database from the second.

Is this the case?

P.s. A Mda (or MDW) file is a file that Ms Access creates to hold the information about the user level securities.
    J.

I'm still not totaly clear with what you mean but I'll guess.

You've got 2 databases. One has the data in it and a front end. the other is a working copy that you are altering and what you need to do is set up the securities to allow access to the first database from the second.

Is this the case?

P.s. A Mda (or MDW) file is a file that Ms Access creates to hold the information about the user level securities.
    Right on the money.....How do I do that?????
    Thanx
    Jim

It's a lot easier than you might think.

If you've got rights to both databases set up then you should be able to just link the tables in the second (work in progress) database to the tables in the first database.

If you don't have the correspoding rights then just go in to tool-security-user level security and give yourself the rights on both databases.

Does that make sense?

John
    J.

It's a lot easier than you might think.

If you've got rights to both databases set up then you should be able to just link the tables in the second (work in progress) database to the tables in the first database.

If you don't have the correspoding rights then just go in to tool-security-user level security and give yourself the rights on both databases.

Does that make sense?

John
    the first database with the core tables db1 has user level security already inacted. the second db that i want to use as the front end db2 has no security on it. so in therie i have admin rights on both db's. when im in db2 trying to link to db1 i get the error that I dont have permision to do so. How do I pass my permsion to db1?
    Jim

All you need to do is use whats caled SHORTCUT commands

create a shortcut to your database
    you should see s command line looking comething like this

c:\database\mydatabase.mdb

click at the end of that line and put a space and then type this

/wrkgrp "c:\database\yoursecurityfile.mdw"

The entire line should look like this

"c:\database\mydatabase.mdb" /wrkgrp "c:\database\yoursecurityfile.mdw"

Put quotation marks before and after each file name but DO NOT put them on the /wrkgrp.

This tells the shortcut to always use that particular security file. You can use this for all of your databases. You can then go into ANY database that has that shortcut and you can shange security settings and it automatically chanegs on every database.

Worked like a carm man. Thanx for all the help
    Jim

I have a new Twist on my problem.....I used the sugestion above to access the information with both dbs using the one workgroup file. The problem is that the security that I have tried to put implace on the second non secure database using the workgroup file from the first secured database is not working. It tells me that the security is there but it is not enforcing it....I dont want to set up another workgroup...My client will not want to maintain two of them. How can I get the one work group to enforce the security on both db's??
    Jim

you have to go and put a password on the ADMIN account. Otherwise, the database will not look for security

Originally posted by tsyscps
    you have to go and put a password on the ADMIN account. Otherwise, the database will not look for security
    I have the second db going threw the primary database's mdw. when I log onto the second db it asks for a pasword...but it seems just to ask it for kicks. It does not enforce the security that i have set up meaning that a user that i have denied access to a form has access. How do I fix that?
    Jim

You have to log on to each database and set security. meaning that you need to log onto the second database as an admin and then set teh security in that one 2. All the sharing is gonna do is to allow you to have one list of users and passwords. Each database will need to have security set up.

Let me suggest a simple way to do this. Setup GROUPS. A group will allow you to have managers, receptioneists, executives and so on with different levels of access. You just add the correct group to each username and you wont have to setup permissions for each usrrname. That way, if you ever decude that there is a form can now be accessed by all of teh mangers, you just change the access in the managers group and all users with that group have access.

This is where you are having the problem at. Every user is added to the USERS group. You are setting individual permissions for each USERNAME but the USER group says they can still access it. If you still want to setup permissons based on suernames, not groups, Go to permissions and click GROUPS and then click on USERS, turn off all permissions for users then the database will look at each username for the permissions they deserve.

Originally posted by tsyscps
    You have to log on to each database and set security. meaning that you need to log onto the second database as an admin and then set teh security in that one 2. All the sharing is gonna do is to allow you to have one list of users and passwords. Each database will need to have security set up.

Let me suggest a simple way to do this. Setup GROUPS. A group will allow you to have managers, receptioneists, executives and so on with different levels of access. You just add the correct group to each username and you wont have to setup permissions for each usrrname. That way, if you ever decude that there is a form can now be accessed by all of teh mangers, you just change the access in the managers group and all users with that group have access.

This is where you are having the problem at. Every user is added to the USERS group. You are setting individual permissions for each USERNAME but the USER group says they can still access it. If you still want to setup permissons based on suernames, not groups, Go to permissions and click GROUPS and then click on USERS, turn off all permissions for users then the database will look at each username for the permissions they deserve.
    So you are saying that there is no way to use a current mdw to secure a second db even if you use comand line flags to make that mdw prompt for a password.
    Im asking because I have the mdw asking for the password, there are user groups set up with users and permisions....but the mdw is not enforcing them. are you saying that i will have to have two mdw's?
    Jim