Question Unanswered: Create database from backup

Hi all,

Can any one tell me how to create a new database from a backup. Let me be clear. I have backup file from one server. Using this backup I need to create a database on another server. Can u be clear plz when you reply to this message.

Thanks,
    sekhar
    Thanks,
    sekhar rao k

First you need the exact ddl to create the entire database and its tables
    Then if you have done your copies with the copy utility you can restore them on the new database using DSN1copy (using the option XLAT).

I'm not sure but in ver 7 I think you can avoid this dsn1copy using recover with a copy taken on another database....
    Cristiana
    Data Base Administrator
    Bologna
    Italy

Question

Hi,

Thanks for support.

Can you be clear, because i am new to DB2 UDB.

i have one more query, can you do database creation using a backup of a database from another server using Control center GUI. Plz be clear when u give reply because as i said i am new to DB2.

Thanks,
    sekhar

Originally posted by chris72
    First you need the exact ddl to create the entire database and its tables
    Then if you have done your copies with the copy utility you can restore them on the new database using DSN1copy (using the option XLAT).

I'm not sure but in ver 7 I think you can avoid this dsn1copy using recover with a copy taken on another database....
    Thanks,
    sekhar rao k

Re: Create database from backup

Hey,

Can you tell us what DB2 version and platform are you using??

Is that an offline backup? If so, you can use the backup/restore utility to create a new database from that backup without having to extract the DDLs of all your tables.
    Here´s a sample of how it should be done:
    'RESTORE DATABASE DB FROM /"dir-from-backup" TO /"new-dir" INTO "NEW-DB" ...'

The INTO parameter specify the database alias, if the alias doesn´t exist it will be created.

Take a look at the "Data Recovery and High Availability Guide and Reference" for further information on the Backup and the Restore commands and see if that helps.
    Here´s the link for the DB2 UDB Manuals at the IBM site:
    http://www-3.ibm.com/cgi-bin/db2www/...bs.d2w/en_main

HTH,
    Fernando

Originally posted by k_sekhar_rao
    Hi all,

Can any one tell me how to create a new database from a backup. Let me be clear. I have backup file from one server. Using this backup I need to create a database on another server. Can u be clear plz when you reply to this message.

Thanks,
    sekhar