Unanswered: transfer data to another form

[COLOR=darkblue] I'm (still) developing an application to dispatch vehicles into the city. On my main form (frmTripData) I have a combo box (cboPickMedNum) which links to a table of previous customers. The medical numbers are tied to a customer and we cannot alter them.

If the dispatcher enters a medical number for a customer we do not currently have in our database, I'd like to open an entry form so that a new record can be made in the customer table. On this entry form (frmMembers), I have a text box for the medical number (tboMedNum).

I am having the devils own time getting the value from [Forms]![frmTripdata].[cboPickMedNum] into [Forms]![frmMembers].[tboMedNum].

I'm using the "On Not in list" event of cboPickMedNum with the following programming.

Private Sub cboPickMedNum_NotInList(NewData As String, Response As Integer)
    ' Drop the value of cboPickMedNum into a global variable
    glbMedNum = Me!cboPickMedNum

Dim intAnswer As Integer
    intAnswer = MsgBox("This Medical Number is not in the Members list. Do you want to add it?", vbYesNo, vbQuestion)

If intAnswer = vbYes Then
    DoCmd.RunCommand acCmdUndo
    DoCmd.OpenForm "frmMembers", acNormal, , , acFormEdit, acDialog
    Response = acDataErrContinue

End Sub

Once the new form (frmMembers) is opened, the field tboMedNum has a default value = [gblMedNum]

The form opens fine, but tboMedNum is blank.

Any ideas?

I guess that you assign [glbMedNum] to the default value in the Form's property sheet. I'm almost sure this doesn't work: you cannot directly assign the value of a VBA variable to a form property this way.

You can solve this by adding code in the Form_Load Sub of your form frmMembers, like this:

'Begin of code sample
    Private Sub Form_Load

Me.tboMedNum = glbMedNum

End Sub
    'End of code sample

This should do it.

Ad Dieleman.

Originally posted by Ad Dieleman
    I guess that you assign [glbMedNum] to the default value in the Form's property sheet. I'm almost sure this doesn't work: you cannot directly assign the value of a VBA variable to a form property this way.

You can solve this by adding code in the Form_Load Sub of your form frmMembers, like this:

'Begin of code sample
    Private Sub Form_Load

Me.tboMedNum = glbMedNum

End Sub
    'End of code sample

This should do it.

Ad Dieleman.

That did it. For my egos sake, I was hoping for a much longer and more complex answer.... But I'll take whatever works.

Thanks