Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Unanswered: No results from ColdFusion query Openlink/progress

I have recently setup openlink 5.0 drivers to access my progress 8.3b DB. I can test the connection and receieve successful in the DSN admin panel. I can also verify the dsn in ColdFusion MX administrator. The problem comes when I try to perform a query from a CF page. This same page returns a result when run using a Merant DSN but not the openlink. No errors, just no records showing up. Any ideas?

Hi Edvan

I suppose the key here is the query that is been executed. In the case of Progress, I haven't tested against this database but if its along the lines of issues I've found in the past with SQL-89 databases and our drivers, the issue might be what's preceeding the database name.

The following link will assist you in creating a pf and tableview file which is always recommended. Meanwhile, I'll have a look at your case and see if there's anything I've missed

http://demo.openlinksw.com/opie/kbas....vsp?OP_ID=245

BR
    Emmon

I have tried doing a cfdump of the entire query and can the field names are displayed by not any fo the data. Same setup with merant yeilds the entire table!

Another clue perharps?

[MERANT][SequeLink JDBC Driver][ODBC Socket][OpenLink][ODBC][Progress Server]**

Why is Merant in my string if there is no merant product on the machine... Is it intgrated with CFMX?

Edvan

That might be the issue here. I haven't tried it using the Sockets options. I will have a look now and let you know the outcome shortly.

Emmon

Edvan

I've recreated your problem here when I use the Sockets option. Can you use the "Other" option in your CF administrator instead of the sockets option, which obviously uses the Merant layer. This is what works for me

Secondly, how were you able to see the error message been displayed

Emmon

I am having a similar problem using ACUODBC - Queries worked fine under CF45 but after upgrading to MX I get a 0 recordset.

Originally posted by Emmon
    Edvan

I've recreated your problem here when I use the Sockets option. Can you use the "Other" option in your CF administrator instead of the sockets option, which obviously uses the Merant layer. This is what works for me

Secondly, how were you able to see the error message been displayed

Emmon
    Emmon,

I was able to see the error (or driver string) by querying a non-existant table and forcing an error. I am now working to use the other option but get the "No Suitable driver" driver error. I tried to validate my drivers using java openlink.jdbc.driver and openlink.jdbc2.driver and I recieve
    Exception in thread "main" java.lang.NoClassDefFoundError: openlink/jdbc/Driver

Can you help?

I already have a quote on the Openlink driver and and have a purchase order sitting on my desk. Its a done deal once I can demonstrate functionality to my supervisor!

Thanks again Emmon!

Edvan

That's fine, I'm happy to help regardless. The problem you're having there seems to stem from your java string. I presume you have the classpath setup to include the opljdbc2.jar file in which case

Try java openlink.jdbc2.Driver instead of lowercase "driver"

HTH
    Emmon

Originally posted by Emmon
    Edvan

That's fine, I'm happy to help regardless. The problem you're having there seems to stem from your java string. I presume you have the classpath setup to include the opljdbc2.jar file in which case

Try java openlink.jdbc2.Driver instead of lowercase "driver"

HTH
    Emmon
    Emmon,
    Thanks for the support! I am getting antsy to get this project off the ground!

I have verified the classpath settings and I receive the same error. I was using Driver to do the verification and recieved the same error.

Here are my settings:

DSN
    JDBC URL jdbcpenlink://ODBC/DSN=SOSRI
    Driver Class: openlink.jdbc.Driver
    (With the above I recieve)
    "No suitable driver"

OR
    Driver Class: openlink.jdbc2.Driver
    I recieve
    "Connection verification failed for data source: RIJDBC
    []java.lang.UnsatisfiedLinkError: _connect
    The root cause was that: java.lang.UnsatisfiedLinkError: _connect"

Driver Name: com.progress.sql.jdbc.JdbcProgressDriver

My CLASSPATH in both CFMX and windows is c:\program files\openlink\jdk13\opljdbc2.jar

Any ideas?

Thanks again!

ED

Ed

I missed you on the phone but I'll recap what I was trying to say, mind the waffle, its been a long day.

Okay, I got a connection working with the ST driver.

From a command window, I checked what version of the jar driver I had setup by running set classpath. I also had to modify my user classpath as opposed to System

CLASSPATH=c:\program files\openlink\st\v5\jdk1.2\opljdbc2.jar;c:\progra m files
    \openlink\st\v5\jdk1.4\megathin3.jar;

As soon as I knew this was right, I ran java openlink.jdbc2.Driver (Please do not use jdbc.Driver as this is for jdk1.1) and this returned the correct settings

OpenLink Generic Driver for JDBC(TM) 3.0 Version 04.15 (Release 5.0)

Now, the next step involves setting up your connection via CF. I simply added the following url which works

jdbcpenlink://ODBC/dsn=st_ora9i_local/uid=scott/pwd=tiger

Bear in mind, I specified ODBC as opposed to Localhost

Let me know how you get on but I was able to run that and retrieve results just fine.

HTh
    Emmon

Emmon,

Thanks so much for the call and information. I set the classpaths and the driver verified as:

OpenLink Generic Driver for JDBC(TM) 2.0 Version 04.05.59 (Release 4.1)

Now this I found strange as while I did install version 4.2, I later upgraded and am currently using version 5.0.

So that part works!

I go to verify my Datasource in CFMX and receive:

Connection verification failed for data source: RIJDBC
    []java.lang.UnsatisfiedLinkError: _connect
    The root cause was that: java.lang.UnsatisfiedLinkError: _connect

My properties are still the same

URL: jdbcpenlink://ODBC/dsn=SOSRI
    Class: openlink.jdbc2.Driver
    Name: com.progress.sql.jdbc.JdbcProgressDriver

This particular DB does not require authentication but when I was setting it up in sockets mode I had to use trusted connection.

Thanks again for your help and I'd appreciate any insight.

Hope you had a restful night!

ED

Hi Ed

I was actually out of the office yesterday and couldn't respond to your posting.

I've setup a local Progress installation here on my machine as I was able to get the Oracle one going, I checked to see if it was a specific Progress issue.

From the looks of it, it seems to be related to a progress issue. For my example, I'm connecting with both the SQL-89 and SQL-92 laye

Sorry,. accidentally submittyed.

I connected with both SQL-89 and 92 to Progress as one uses authentication and the other doesn't. I can connect fine using our JDBC sample apps but not with the Coldfusion tool.

I cannot quite tell why this is the case so I suppose in a way I've recreated your problem. I'll try to debug this from an OL POV but I suppose I ineed CF to give me some more information on why its failing either through log files or some other means. The errors I get are

Connection verification failed for data source: st_p91d_local
    []java.sql.SQLException: SQLException occurred in JDBCPool while attempting to connect, please check your username, password, URL, and other connectivity info.
    The root cause was that: java.sql.SQLException: SQLException occurred in JDBCPool while attempting to connect, please check your username, password, URL, and other connectivity info

Now, this is my connect string which you'll find doesn't differ from my Oracle one with the exception of the datasource name

jdbcpenlink://ODBC/DSN=st_p9d_local/uid=/pwd=

If you know of any tracing mechanisms, do let me know.

Thanks
    Emmon

Hi Ed

Well I got it working and how annoying I must say.

Basically, I couldn't trace a connection locally using the Driver Manager and then I remembered this usually occured when the service was started by the Local system user. So as a hunch, I decided to start the database as a user on the system as opposed to the Local System and yep you guessed it, it worked fine and I was able to retrieve the records just fine. The issue of the empty recordset is still outstanding with Sockets but using the Other method works fine now. I can now trace so when I've got some time, I'll see what occurs there

Hope it works for you too. If it does, I will be adding this as a KB item for future use.

Emmon