Unanswered: Reuse same RST on different pages

Hallo,

since I have to load once a recordset from a very huge table, and then reuse the same rst on different pages, isn't it possible to have the data stored on the server and reuse them easily, without having to load the rst again each time???

Thank you, bye,

Pietro

what reason do you need to load this amount of data for - there may be a better way of doing it?

There is a table of circa 1600 records. Each one has Name and Description. The two fields needs also to be processed through Server.HTMLEncode. Users need to have that full list on each page to be able to choose the records they want.

You could do this;

write a script to "dump" all the data into an XML file, then use XSL to sytle it how you like (I can help you with this if you need)

To keep the data up to date, have triggers on the realvant tables which regenerate the XML file, or have the "trigger" not in the database but in the ASP page where inserts / updates are done.

This will be faster, but only if the ratio of views to update/inserts/deletes is high enough - as if each view changes the data the page would be constantly generating the XML file.

I currently use this to generate the menu's on my website, each time I change the menu (inside the database or using the site interface) the XML file is re-generated. Seems to reduce loading on the server.

oh yeah, incase you didn't know, you can use the XML data more than once and style it how you like, even query it as well using XSL

This way you kindly indicated to me seems to be absolutely interesting. Could you please provide me with suggestions on the knowledge requisites I should have for doing this? (I'm quite new to XML) Your indications, online basic tutorials, etc?

Thanks,

bye

Pietro

For good examples and tutition (free) go to;

www.w3schools.com/xml/
    www.w3schools.com/xsl/

This is a site (run by?) the w3c who invent and manage most of the big internet standards.

You need to know how to use the file system object - check this site out;

http://www.brainjar.com/asp/fileops/

And the basics which I guess you allready know such as getting a rs back and iterating through it.

Feel free to ask more questions!!

p.s. I call these pages "static-dynamic" (or dynamic-static??) pages

did you get this to work?

Hallo, thank you for your kind and worthful help and interesting!

I considered the issue with my boss. For the moment, since the amount of work needed to make the entire system running is quite huge, we have decided to consider the matter in details further, and leave the page not on top of navigation. Actually, users interested in these data are not the most, and producing easy consultation to other data is really more important.

I foresee and hope to be back again on this topic, working from the fondations of the problem, asap.

P.

any page which makes your users have to scroll through 1600 records to select an option is flawed.

Break it down into steps, or different pages.

No-one wants to search through that many options in one page..

Cheers,
    Andrew
    There have been many posts made throughout the world.
    This was one of them.

Mr Bunce,

sorry but this is an Intranet, and my user WANTS to search among 1600 choices in only one shot

Pietro

If you want I can probably send you my implelmentation of it if you don't have time to code it.

email me at rhs98@isitaboat.co.uk to discuss it