Question Unanswered: Unicode and multi-languages

Currently I'm running a multi-lingual website with 11 languages using MySQL

When the user selects another language I display a country list in that language (simple table) and ordering them by that column.

Now moving into PostgreSQL to be able to offer more than those 11 latin languages, with Unicode we'll expand to include even more languages (not to mention triggers, views, sequences...).

I've been moving data over to PostgreSQL 7.2 now (converting to unicode while I'm at it) and use PHP, however I discovered a nasty hiccup I had not expected.

My columns do not sort correctly, for example using my native Icelandic I got as the first letter (it should be third last), and all the "special characters" such as , etc all came somewhere in between the A list.

I've been googling for 2 days now and not found anything that worked, I tried to set the language to is_IS for example but then Postgre didn't return my query (is_IS is in my locale folder among others).

As I will be allowing users to switch between languages "on the fly" I might have to constantly tell Postgres which locale it should use to sort (Russian selected as language, sort country list by Russian column using russian locale, x selected as language, sort country list by x column using x locale).

Does anyone have the answer for me, how can I get my lovely country list ordered correctly!

Did you find out a solution to your problem. I though mySQL supports Unicode now!. So you could add new character sets and also specify the Sort order etc?

not possible

it seems that changing sorting rules (locales) on the fly is not supported in Postgres

Originally posted by jessypal
    Did you find out a solution to your problem. I though mySQL supports Unicode now!. So you could add new character sets and also specify the Sort order etc?
    MySQL supports Unicode as of v4.1, but that version is currently in Alpha release. Postgres is still way ahead.