I have an SQL Server 2000 server and a web server on two (2) different Windows 2000 machines. Most of the web pages hosted on the web pages requires database access via ODBC (DSN connection). The service runs normally until I restart the SQL server, which will render all these web pages with an error message, 'communication link failure'. Restarting the WWW service on the Web server does not work. However, after restarting the Web server, the problem is resolved? What could be the problem? The DSN connection uses TCP/IP on the regular port 1433. I've tried with and without connection pooling and it does not work. With connection pooling, the timeout configured was 5 seconds and the connection does not drop and reconnect again with the SQL server.
I have two (2) SQL server, one primary and the other secondary, on Windows 2000 Server boxes. when the primary SQL service is started, the secondary does not and vice versa. I've installed BrightStor High-Availability Manager for replication and fail-over purposes.
I also have a web server running, hosting web pages that requires database access via ODBC (DSN connection, similar to scenario 1). The web server operates normally, until the Primary SQL server fails over and the secondary SQL server stands in to replace the primary. Hence, there will be a period of database connection downtime. So, the web server should now connect to the secondary SQL Server for database access. (note that when fail over happens, the SQL server takes over the Primary SQL server's IP address, imitating itself as the primary SQL server.) When the web page is accessed, the same "communication link failure" happens again.
at the same time, I have a radius server that connects to SQL server via ODBC just like the Web server. When I run prolonged testing, it shows that there will be a period of inactivity or error as a result of the downtime, but when the Secondary SQL server takes over (stands in), the Radius is able to continue with the processing normally. Therefore, I do not think that there is anything to do with the ODBC, unless someone can highlight any configurations or issues i may have overlooked.