Question Unanswered: RunTime Error 3706

Hi Guys

I have a huge problem. I have an older version of an application that I installed on my PC now when I uninstall it and install a newer version I get this error.

Its a Visual Basic Application that uses Oracle as its database and I am trying to connect via ADO.

The old installer was InstallShield and I am now using Visual Studio Installer. The problem is that when you unistall the older version of this product then it removes certain files and I have no idea what these files are.

Now when I run the code, it says that it cant find the Provider or it may not be installed properly...

Private mcnWrite As ADODB.Connection

mcnWrite.CursorLocation = adUseClient
    mcnWrite.Open "Provider=msdaora.1;Data Source=MyDB;USER ID=ADMIN;Password=ADMIN"

I have installed MDAC 2.6, MDAC 2.7, MDAC 2.5, MDAC 2.0, MS DAO 3.6 but I still keep getting this error, I have tried other connections but the same error keeps coming up.

If I put the old installation back on then the code runs fine....

Can someone plz help me???Any help will do...

Mail me on DPillay@Uniprosa.co.za

Re: RunTime Error 3706

I can only think of the following solution at the moment: you do not have the drivers required on your system (what it sound like) - MSDAORA.DLL

I don't think that this file comes with the MDAC. It may come with the Oracle installer though, so that when you do an uninstall, for some reason the uninstaller is removing this critical file. This is the file that I use whenever I do my Oracle interfacing.

Cheers,
    Daniel

Originally posted by Deshin13
    Hi Guys

I have a huge problem. I have an older version of an application that I installed on my PC now when I uninstall it and install a newer version I get this error.

Its a Visual Basic Application that uses Oracle as its database and I am trying to connect via ADO.

The old installer was InstallShield and I am now using Visual Studio Installer. The problem is that when you unistall the older version of this product then it removes certain files and I have no idea what these files are.

Now when I run the code, it says that it cant find the Provider or it may not be installed properly...

Private mcnWrite As ADODB.Connection

mcnWrite.CursorLocation = adUseClient
    mcnWrite.Open "Provider=msdaora.1;Data Source=MyDB;USER ID=ADMIN;Password=ADMIN"

I have installed MDAC 2.6, MDAC 2.7, MDAC 2.5, MDAC 2.0, MS DAO 3.6 but I still keep getting this error, I have tried other connections but the same error keeps coming up.

If I put the old installation back on then the code runs fine....

Can someone plz help me???Any help will do...

Mail me on DPillay@Uniprosa.co.za

Talking Found it

Thanks Guys

I found the problem, its seems that that InstallShield Unregisters files in Program Files\Common Files folder, all I do is register all the .dll files and it works, I havent figured out as yet which dll but I am busy writing a batch file to register the ADO,DAO and ODBC dlls.

Hope this solves it permanantly