Question Unanswered: Opening database with user level security

I came into a project where I need to open an Access database that has user-level security defined. I need to make some changes and I don't have the unsecured copy of the database and can't find it on any backups. I do have the the .mdw file, usernames, and passwords. Is there a way for me to open the secure database in Access?

Thanks,
    Chris

Re: Opening database with user level security

Originally posted by ceg
    I came into a project where I need to open an Access database that has user-level security defined. I need to make some changes and I don't have the unsecured copy of the database and can't find it on any backups. I do have the the .mdw file, usernames, and passwords. Is there a way for me to open the secure database in Access?

Thanks,
    Chris
    You need to find a file called wrkgadm.exe in your Microsoft Office directory. Double click on the file and click the "Join" button. From there you can browse to the location of the .mdw file you have for your database and join that workgroup using the wrkgadm.exe file.

Once you're linked to the secured .mdw file, access will prompt you for a user name and password, which will allow you to open the secured database. Before you change the path in wrkgadm.exe, make sure to remember where it is currently linked to. It should be linked to a file called system.mdw in the common folder, but double check it, you will need it if you are going to want to link back to the unsecured workgroup file. Access will keep prompting you for a user name and password(even with non secure databases) until you change it back to the unsecured system.mdw which it was originally linked to.

Re: Opening database with user level security

You may also make a shortcut with the following command line:

"C:\Program Files\Microsoft Office\Office\MSACCESS.EXE" "d:\YourDB.mdb" /wrkgrp "d:\YourWorkGroup.mdw"

Easier, since you only change the workgroup for this one instance of Access, with your secure mdb.

hth