Question Relation needed?

Hi,

I'm new to DB design and I have a question about whether a relationship is needed in my database. Here's the scenario ...

I have a table that stores all of a user's login information. I also need to store a bunch of other info about the user (address, phone, etc).

Should I store all of this stuff in one table or should I set up a relation and store all of the user login info in one table and all the profile info in another?

I've read up on relationships and it seems that my simple DB doesn't really need one ... but at the same time the two tables do have different functions.

Thanks in advance ...

Re: Relation needed?

Keep it simple if you can, i.e. one table. But there may be other considerations, e.g. security. If some users can see/update contact info but not login info, then keeping them in separate tables makes it easier to control the access.

Pedantic note on terminology: "relation" is the relational term for a table; "relationship" is an analysis term meaning (more or less) foreign key. The two terms are not synonymous!

Thanks!

Tony,

Thanks for the quick reply and the correction on terminology. Sounds like I can just use one table because all users can update contact info as well as login info ... in fact I have it set up where they do it all in the same place.

Re: Thanks!

Originally posted by Wigz
    Tony,

Thanks for the quick reply and the correction on terminology. Sounds like I can just use one table because all users can update contact info as well as login info ... in fact I have it set up where they do it all in the same place.
    That settles it - one table then!