Thread: Deleting tables

Question Unanswered: Deleting tables

Hi all,

Can any one tell me the query which can delete the tables which start with the same name. I mean, if T1, T2, T3, T4, T5.......Tn are the table names. How to delete all these tables with a single query.
    Thanks,
    sekhar rao k

Re: Deleting tables

Originally posted by k_sekhar_rao
    Hi all,

Can any one tell me the query which can delete the tables which start with the same name. I mean, if T1, T2, T3, T4, T5.......Tn are the table names. How to delete all these tables with a single query.
    You can use sysobjects tables to list all table begining by Tn and delete it.
    Olivier Miossec
    --
    http://www.lasso-developpeur.net/
    --

I don't know of a single statment that can drop multipule table but you could use somthing like this:

Code:
    Declare @TblName sysname
    select @TblName = min(name) from sysobjects where type = 'U' and name like 'T_'
    while (@TblName is not null) begin
      raiserror('Dropping table: %s...',0,1,@TblName)
      exec('drop table ' + @TblName)
      select @TblName = min(name) from sysobjects where type = 'U' and name like 'T_' and name > @TblName
    end
    Paul Young
    (Knowledge is power! Get some!)

Hmm im not muhc of an expert compared the many people here but i think tis wud also work

Delete from sysobjects s
    where s.name ike "T%"

lemme know if it works..:s..just trying to be of some help so dun kil me if it doesnt!..

cheers

-s
    You try and try again..but then give up, there's no sense in being a complete fool about it!!!

shuchi did you test your suggestion?
    Paul Young
    (Knowledge is power! Get some!)

shuchi, you are probably hardcore programmer, in MSSQL this approach is lethal. You delete primary records of objects. I expect this can be done after allowing direct updates to system catalogs. But what will you do with dependences of deleted objects, raw data on harddisc, ... ?

Paul Young gaved a good sugestion. i also sugest using 'and status>0'. I found that there r still tables marked as 'U' (user) that are in fact not user-made, but those have the status<0. The documentation says 'status' is 'for internal purpose and doesn't go more further.

You mean table dbo.dtproperties. I assume it is more a bug than a plan.