Unanswered: Import Text Wizard "Invalid Argument" Error

Hi all,

I've searched the archives but haven't been able to find anything dealing with this.

I'm trying to import a text file (tab delimited) into Access 2000. It's about 1.5GB in size. When I try to import it as a table Access goes through the motions, and after it seems to be coming to a close, it throws up an "Invalid Argument" error.

I checked the help files, and apparently service pack 3 should have fixed it, but it hasn't.

Any ideas?

Re: Import Text Wizard "Invalid Argument" Error

Originally posted by Biscuit
    Hi all,

I've searched the archives but haven't been able to find anything dealing with this.

I'm trying to import a text file (tab delimited) into Access 2000. It's about 1.5GB in size. When I try to import it as a table Access goes through the motions, and after it seems to be coming to a close, it throws up an "Invalid Argument" error.

I checked the help files, and apparently service pack 3 should have fixed it, but it hasn't.

Any ideas?
    I believe RSlater had the same problem, he used the "Advanced" in the within the import/export wizard and entered the specs in order to go around this same problem.

According to the Help Files:

Microsoft Access database table specifications
    Attribute Maximum
    Number of characters in a table name 64
    Number of characters in a field name 64
    Number of fields in a table 255
    Number of open tables 2048. The actual number may be less because of tables open internally by Microsoft Access.
    Table size 1 gigabyte

You said "It's about 1.5GB in size. When I try to import it as a table Access"

??

Michael

Thanks for the advice you lot..... it seems like I may have to split the files in half before I can do anything with them then. I'll get out IT guys on it on Monday. Cheers!