Thread: MySql vs msde

Unanswered: MySql vs msde

Hi,

I'm at a crossroads with my message forums.

I run 2 discussion forums which receive anywhere from several hundred to about a thousand messages a day each. Each forum has around 50,000 messages online, and a typical topic might contain 100 replies, some large threads might get one or two thousand replies.

Right now, I'm hosted in a shared windows environment using MS-SQL (also shared). Database sizes run about 60 megs each.

Traffic is now getting heavy enough that I'm getting shut down at least once or twice a day due to overloading.

I'm considering moving to a dedicated windows server, and have the option to run my databases on either MSDE or MySql, but I'm not sure which might be the better choice. I won't be able to afford dedicated MS-SQL hosting.

I've tried running on MySql in the shared environment, and the busier of the 2 sites melts down very fast, sometimes within a few minutes - I get exceptions, and soon the server stops processing code altogether. The less busy site seems to be mostly ok under shared MySql, but my host said it was too much and I had to change back to MS-SQL.

My code is in asp and won't run properly on *nix, so a windows machine is necessary.

So, I'm trying to figure out which would be the better gamble, MSDE or MySql running my sites on a dedicated server.

Any comments would be appreciated.

thanks,

Ed

From memory, MSDE only allows a limited number of concurrent connections. So even if it is a dedicated environment, it won't shape up!
    There have been many posts made throughout the world.
    This was one of them.

Thanks for the reply. I suspected this would be the case, but wasn't really sure. MSDE works really nice when I'm the only one connecting, but I was afraid that it might not hold up under load.

Ed

msde accepts only 5 concurrent connections according to microsoft. why? cos its a free limitted release of ms sql server.

mysql is a only option to me.

Provided Answers: 11
    Actually, I believe it will only allow 5 queries to run simultaneously. With an active site, it amounts to the same thing, though.