Unanswered: OLAP Integration Server Login fails

Hello,

I am working on IBM DB2 7.2 in windows XP environment. I am just trying out the tutorial that came with the db2 installation. I am trying to log on to OLAP Integration Server which fails. The error message am getting is username and password are incorrect. I didnt create any username other than db2admin. I am skeptic about one field in that "OLAP Metadata catalog". I am using TBC_MD database that was created when db2 was installed.

I could possiblly think of one reason. I didnt do any chapters on cataloging data as it requires Warehouse Manager which I dont have. is it necessary to publish metadata for this catalog ??

Any help in this regard will be appreciated.

thanks

regards,
    sivaraj

Re: OLAP Integration Server Login fails

Hi,

Warehouse Manager and OLAP IS
    Originally posted by sivaraj
    Hello,

I am working on IBM DB2 7.2 in windows XP environment. I am just trying out the tutorial that came with the db2 installation. I am trying to log on to OLAP Integration Server which fails. The error message am getting is username and password are incorrect. I didnt create any username other than db2admin. I am skeptic about one field in that "OLAP Metadata catalog". I am using TBC_MD database that was created when db2 was installed.

I could possiblly think of one reason. I didnt do any chapters on cataloging data as it requires Warehouse Manager which I dont have. is it necessary to publish metadata for this catalog ??

Any help in this regard will be appreciated.

thanks

regards,
    sivaraj

Hi,

Warehouse Manager and OLAP IS are two diferent productcs. They are seperated so there is nothing to configure between them if you would like to use just one product.

Try to connect to OLAP IS metadata database (default OLAPCATP) with Client Cofiguration Assistent. If you can't connect to the DB2 with your password then you probably don't have the right userid or password.

Please verify if you are connecting to the right "OLAP metadata catalog". The default medatata catalog is OLAPCATP.

Give me more information about your system. Witch version of OLAP IS do you use? In witch platform Windows, Unix, etc. Give me the exect error message and the scenario you have produce it.

Hope this helps,
    Grofaty

Hi,

I remember you. Last time when i had some problem you helped me out. It was so nice to see you again in my way to help me.
    I appreciate your help.

I was able to connect to OLAPCATD and OLAPCATP from the client configuration assitant. And when i use either one of them as my metadata catalog it works fine. But in the tutorial they are using TBC_MD as the metadata catalog which isnt working for me. Before using this as the metadata catlog they are using data warehouse manager to create something for it, which i am not following

If possible please check this link

http://www-3.ibm.com/software/data/d...3.htm#db2tucat

this should give you more details

once agian thanks a lot

regards
    sivaraj

Originally posted by grofaty
    Hi,

Warehouse Manager and OLAP IS are two diferent productcs. They are seperated so there is nothing to configure between them if you would like to use just one product.

Try to connect to OLAP IS metadata database (default OLAPCATP) with Client Cofiguration Assistent. If you can't connect to the DB2 with your password then you probably don't have the right userid or password.

Please verify if you are connecting to the right "OLAP metadata catalog". The default medatata catalog is OLAPCATP.

Give me more information about your system. Witch version of OLAP IS do you use? In witch platform Windows, Unix, etc. Give me the exect error message and the scenario you have produce it.

Hope this helps,
    Grofaty

Hi,

I don't know what you did so far. I suggest you to do it one more time. This time do as follows.

1. On Windows create user TBC with password you chouse.

2. Command Window:
    drop database TBC_MD --> drop if exist
    drop database TBC --> drop if exist

3. Command Window:
    create database TBC_MD --> this will be the catalog database (chouse other name if you need)
    create database TBC --> this will be the source database (chouse other name if you need)

4. Client Configuration Asistent
    Select TBC_MD and Properties then Register this database for ODBC. Then press OK buttons to exit.
    Do the same for TBC database.

5. Integraton Server Desktop
    Cancel on Login window

6. Integraton Server Desktop
    Tools | Create Catalog

7. Integraton Server Desktop
    In ODBC Data Source Name (DSN) choose TBC_MD

8. Integraton Server Desktop
    Connections | Meta data catalog | Connect
    OLAP Metadata Catalog select TBC_MD

9. Tools | create sample
    Creation can take some minutes. Be patient.

10. Login to TBC_MD as catalog.

11. Create model select TBC as data source.

Hope this helps,
    Grofaty

Hello,

Thanks for replying. I dont see the option Tools | Create Catalog. I am using enterprise edition of the db2 7.2. I am using OLAP tool server kit.

bye
    sivaraj

Hi,

I don't know what you did so far. I suggest you to do it one more time. This time do as follows.

1. On Windows create user TBC with password you chouse.

2. Command Window:
    drop database TBC_MD --> drop if exist
    drop database TBC --> drop if exist

3. Command Window:
    create database TBC_MD --> this will be the catalog database (chouse other name if you need)
    create database TBC --> this will be the source database (chouse other name if you need)

4. Client Configuration Asistent
    Select TBC_MD and Properties then Register this database for ODBC. Then press OK buttons to exit.
    Do the same for TBC database.

5. Integraton Server Desktop
    Cancel on Login window

6. Integraton Server Desktop
    Tools | Create Catalog

7. Integraton Server Desktop
    In ODBC Data Source Name (DSN) choose TBC_MD

8. Integraton Server Desktop
    Connections | Meta data catalog | Connect
    OLAP Metadata Catalog select TBC_MD

9. Tools | create sample
    Creation can take some minutes. Be patient.

10. Login to TBC_MD as catalog.

11. Create model select TBC as data source.

Hope this helps,
    Grofaty

Hi,

You probably do not have installed the lates fixpack for DB2 UDB 7.2. Visit the IBM support page for downloading the fixpak.

Fixpack 8 for DB2 UDB 7.2 for Windows is available at:
    http://www-3.ibm.com/cgi-bin/db2www/...d.d2w/db2ntv71

Hope this helps,
    Grofaty

Hello,

Thanks for replying again. I downloaded the fixpak, still it isnt working. I dont see the option tools->create catalog. I am using OLAP Starter Kit. I dont have complete OLAP Kit. Does it matter ? If so where I can find the complete OLAP Server kit. Let me know that please

thanks once again

regards,
    Sivaraj

Hi,

You probably do not have installed the lates fixpack for DB2 UDB 7.2. Visit the IBM support page for downloading the fixpak.

Fixpack 8 for DB2 UDB 7.2 for Windows is available at:
    http://www-3.ibm.com/cgi-bin/db2www/...d.d2w/db2ntv71

Hope this helps,
    Grofaty

OLAP Server Kit, I believe, is a chargable option ....

Cheers

Sathyaram

Originally posted by sivaraj
    Hello,

Thanks for replying again. I downloaded the fixpak, still it isnt working. I dont see the option tools->create catalog. I am using OLAP Starter Kit. I dont have complete OLAP Kit. Does it matter ? If so where I can find the complete OLAP Server kit. Let me know that please

thanks once again

regards,
    Sivaraj

Hi,

OLAP full version is chargable option. The OLAP starter kit is free. The main difference is that with starter kit you can only access to the DB2 data sources, with full version you can access other RDBMS too.

According to the documentation "OLAP Setup and User's Guide" from OLAP server support page http://www-3.ibm.com/software/data/d...libraryv7.html

at page 24 there is instruction how to build the catalog manualy from db2 skripts.

Breef explanation:
    1. Start DB2 Command Window
    2. cd C:\db2olap\IS\Ocscript (c: is drive and db2olap is path you have installed the olap server)
    2. connect to olap_catalog_database user username using password
    (enter username and password)
    3. db2 -t -f ocdb2.sql
    (this command creates the olap catalog)

It is posible that file ocdb2.sql does not exist!!! I have file named oc_create_db2.sql. From fixpack to fixpack the names have been changed.

Hope this helps,
    Grofaty