Unanswered: Problem with roll-forwarding in DB2 7.1 AIX

Hi.

I'm trying to restore an online backup in DB2 7.1 AIX but end up having problems with roll-forward. Restore of the backup works perfectly, however, the command "rollforward database <name> to end of logs and stop" fails with the following message:

"SQL4970N Roll-forward recovery on database "<name>" cannot reach the specified stop point (end-of-log or point-in-time) because of missing log file(s) on node(s) "0".

I have set the logretain and userexit configaration parameters as needed for a online backup and all the needed log files should be available. However, if I query the roll-forward status after restore, db2 specifies that a log file with a sequence number N+1, where N is the number of online backups done so far, is needed? How can this be bacause the log doesn't even exist yet?!

An identical restore-rollforward procudure works perfectly with DB 7.2 Windows. Could this problem be fixed by upgrading to 7.2?

Re: Problem with roll-forwarding in DB2 7.1 AIX

What fix pack are you on. There is a bug in 5 that requires you to change the log buff size and you migh want to issue the command "db2 rollforward db xxx complete"

Do you know how many log files you are trying to apply during roll forward process.
    If you dont have any log files to apply the execute the command

ROLLFORWARD COMPLETE

Originally posted by sniiran
    Hi.

I'm trying to restore an online backup in DB2 7.1 AIX but end up having problems with roll-forward. Restore of the backup works perfectly, however, the command "rollforward database <name> to end of logs and stop" fails with the following message:

"SQL4970N Roll-forward recovery on database "<name>" cannot reach the specified stop point (end-of-log or point-in-time) because of missing log file(s) on node(s) "0".

I have set the logretain and userexit configaration parameters as needed for a online backup and all the needed log files should be available. However, if I query the roll-forward status after restore, db2 specifies that a log file with a sequence number N+1, where N is the number of online backups done so far, is needed? How can this be bacause the log doesn't even exist yet?!

An identical restore-rollforward procudure works perfectly with DB 7.2 Windows. Could this problem be fixed by upgrading to 7.2?

Originally posted by quigleyd
    What fix pack are you on. There is a bug in 5 that requires you to change the log buff size and you migh want to issue the command "db2 rollforward db xxx complete"
    I think I'm on Fix Pack 4, though I can't check this at the moment. Could you elaborate on the log buff size setting? Is there an IBM link for the bug available? Also, what's the difference between 'stop' and 'complete' in roll-forward?

Stop tell the rollforward to just wait for you to issue another rollforward or do some other type of commands, like copy more logfiles in. Complete, tells it to finish processing rollback anything that it needs to and try and bring the db on line.

The bug is caused by a logfile not being the correct size, like if it was truncated. I think its only in FP5, and it would give you a error. I cannot find the APAR.

You need to include you OVERFLOW LOG PATH in the string. For example:

ROLLFORWARD DB BLAH TO END OF LOGS AND STOP OVERFLOW LOG PATH (C:\DBLOGS)

TRY THAT AND IT WILL WORK

Originally posted by sniiran
    Hi.