Unanswered: IDS 9.30 RPM Install On Redhat 8.0

We have a problem installing IDS 9.30.UC3 on Redhat 8 - the RPM installer keeps saying our install directory is incorrect. It would appear that there's a problem with $RPM_INSTALL_PREFIX in the RPM package - has anyone got a fix? (We tried manually setting RPM_INSTALL_PREFIX to $INFORMIXDIR before running RPM, but that just pushed the problem further down the chain). RPM was being run as:
    rpm -ivh --relocate /opt/informix=$INFORMIXDIR *.rpm

From the SERVER directory on the install CD.

Hi,

This is a known issue:

Bug: 158974 RPM INSTALLATION USING RELOCATE OPTION FAILS ON REDHAT LINUX V8 {NBS}

Workaround: 8881
    You can only install in /opt/informix also set
    RPM_INSTALL_PREFIX=/opt/informix
    INFORMIXDIR=/opt/informix

Try using /opt/informix as a symbolic link. Maybe that works.
    rws

Thanks for the prompt reply. At least it's not us doing something wrong..any problem with installing in /opt/informix and then copying the resultant structure over our 'usual' Informix directory structure?

In version 9.30, a lot of symbolic links in the /usr/lib directory point to the $INFORMIXDIR/lib.

You can always try to change them in a test environment. I never tried it.

The next version, 9.40 will install all libraries in $INFORMIXDIR/lib, no symbolic links in /usr/lib directory.
    Coming out end of March...
    rws

Installed all informix in /opt/informix

After doing the above we now get the following error when running ONMONITOR. The error appears to be a graphical error. We also tried a straign ONINIT and got a different error.

ONMONITOR
    onmonitor: error while loading shared libraries: libncurses.so.4: cannot open shared object file: No such file or directory

ONINIT returns
    oninit: relocation error: /var/lib/libpthread.so.0: symbol __on_exit, version GLIBC_2.0 not defined in file libc.so.6 with link time reference .
    We got round the first one by linking libncurses.so.5 to libncurses.so.4 in /usr/lib, but that gave us unpredicatble keystroke problems (escape had to be hit twice sometimes). But this still gave us the ONINIT error at the end.

After you moved it, try running the install script again.
    this script wil rebrand all executables and libraries.
    rws

Apologies, my explanation was not too clear.

We elected not to move the code. Instead we installed all of our Informix products in /opt/informix (given that we couldn't redirect the install of the engine, we decided to reinstall the 4gl and sql in the same location). So now we have 4gl,sql and IDS in /opt/informix - all installed without a hitch.
    The problem now appears to be running (initializing) the engine. If we try to use onmonitor we get a problem with libncurses.so.4 not being available. If we then symbolically link libncurses.so.4 to libncurses.so.5, onmonitor 'pseudo' works ok, apart from it ignore the first press of the Esc key and the menu bar navigation is also limited. If we go all the way through to the end of the onmonitor session (soemtimes having to press the Esc key twice, or the Esc key followed by any other key), we eventually get the GLIBC error as onmonitor tries to initialize the database.
    If we go straight to initialization (by manually modifying the onconfig params) via oninit, we get the GLIBC error straight away (hardly surprising really).
    Is that any clearer - you wouldn't believe that English was my mother tongue would you?

Hi

i have the same problem with the glib in other forum says that you can rename libifxpthread.so to libifxpthread.so.old but later i do that i have the problem when "the Bringing up ADM VP..." the oninit crash and no do more
    other solution for this !?

Thanks you.

Re

You have to create libpthread.so
    (check for sure by ldd $INFORMIXDIR/bin/oninit)
    from libifxpthread.so.1 to /var/lib/i686/libpthread.so.1
    the place I'm not sure but re link to use Linux own