Unanswered: Access app no longer working

I just upgraded the OS on the computer belonging to a friend of mine from win98 to win2k. An old access app he had no longer works. Another machine of his that also has win2k the app works fine. The symptoms are as follows:

- Anytime a button is pressed or a select box is changed that would run a query, a popup input box comes up with as title: Formulare!F_Belege!Table_name or something to that effect (app was written by a German).
    - Occasionally coinciding with this "This record is not updatable" appears in the status bar. However this isn't always the case.

I really am unfamiliar with Access and do not see why these files run without a hitch on one machine running win2k and office2k while not on the other that I most recently upgraded.

Thanks to anyone who answers for their time!

Cheers,

Tightcode

Just wild guesses (helped me sometimes). Compact and repair the database. If that doesnt't help, reimport all objects into a newly created access database and try again. We expirienced the odd problem that on some machines we had to install Office developer component update to get our app running (win2k, clean install, completely updated). The symptoms were similar.

Did you do a clean install of Win2k? If not, I'd recommend that, not only because of that problem. Updated machines regularly run into problems.

HTH,

chris

Your query will be a parameter query, looking for "formulare", which is local Access dialect for Forms

Search all the parameter queries involved and change the wording in the criteria to "forms" in stead of formulare.

That should help.

Small update on my problem.

Perhaps my first post was a little nondescript because I did not have Access running on this machine. I have just installed Access (Office XP with SP2). I am able to duplicate the same problem as I had on the person's computer the program needs to work on.

Chrisp_999:
    I tried compacting and repairing the DB, it turned it into garbage, so I threw that option out the window. The re-importing of objects also did not work.
    Regarding the Office Developper Component Update, I do not have access to this and it seems from MSs site that this is an additional purchase ?
    In each case were this did not work it was a clean win2k installation, attempted with both office2k and officexp with up to date service packs.

Marion:
    This is probably going to sound silly but how do I edit the queries of the app part of the program ? The app has two .mdf files one with as suffix _D and the other with as suffix _P. The P one is the program interface and the _D is the database. From what you said it seems that perhaps the language locale is causing the problem ? I would like to try renaming the queries as suggested but am just not sure how to open the interface in an editable form.

Just in case it helps, here is an image of the problem:
    http://pub.sytes.net/access-prob-01.gif
    The problem occurs when clicking the "Belege Erfassen / ändern" button and brings up that popup box instead of going directly to the next window.

Thanks again for your time !

TightCode

Re: Small update on my problem.

Your picture of the problem looks familiar, most likely language problem with German in your app.

About the extensions of your two files, they are .mdb or .mdf?
    .mdb belongs to Access, where .mdf is mostly SQL-Server I believe.

Anyway, if the database is split correctly, you should look for your queries in the Program Interface part, not the data-part.
    The queries might be available as real queries, but could also be 'hidden' as text strings in the VBA-code behind the forms.

hth

another update

The extension on both the database and program file are .mdb.
    When opening the database file in Access all it contains are tables, no other object types. However when I open the program part in Access it runs the program. I am not sure how to open it for "editing" or how to expose the queries or anything else. If you could tell me how to do that I can try renaming Formulare to Forms and see if it fixes it.

Thanks again for your time !

TightCode

Opening the mdb for editing could be tricky.
    First try to hold the shift key while opening the mdb. This is probably not going to work. If it doesn't work, open access, create an empty mdb, open the vba editor (ALT + F11), then close the empty mdb and open the frontend mdb via file menu. Then you should be able to see the vba code in the editor even if the app starts automatically (IF it is not password protected).
    What to do from there depends on how the app is protected. Have you access to the built in menu bar when the app is running?

This may help

Sorry for taking so long guys. Here are the two files going with the program:
    http://pub.sytes.net/Kostnkontrolle_D.mdb
    http://pub.sytes.net/Kostnkontrolle_P.mdb

It seems they have to be in c:\kk\*.* to function at all.
    I had to clear the data out of the _D.mdb before sharing it, that is what took me so long. But the error is the same after having cleared it so I am guessing it didn't effect the problem any. I get the error first when pressing the Belege ändern button, top button in the program, then pretty much any button which makes a query I think causes the error.

Again the problem is a popup box as can be seen here:
    http://pub.sytes.net/access-prob-01.gif

Sorry it is in german if you need help with that part let me know.

Cheers,

TightCode

Ok, it is a localization problem. I happen to have the german version of access xp and everything runs fine. I can prevent autostarting with the shift key, so you could get yourself find and replace (http://www.rickworld.com/products.html) and try to globally replace formulare with forms and berichte with reports (there may be other caveats, sorry, I'm *very* tired)

HTH, chris