Thread: stupid question

Unanswered: stupid question

With lookup tables, should I set the data type in the main table looking up the lookup table to a text field if I want the result in a query to show as text not a numeric.

e.g

My lookup table is
    ServiceTypeID
    ServiceName
    Description

ClientID
    ServiceTypeID (should this field be numeric or text) I need the result in queries to be seen as text. Am I referrencing incorrectly if the ServiceTypeID's is appearing instead of a the ServiceName.

Re: stupid question

Originally posted by billjov
    With lookup tables, should I set the data type in the main table looking up the lookup table to a text field if I want the result in a query to show as text not a numeric.

e.g

My lookup table is
    ServiceTypeID
    ServiceName
    Description

ClientID
    ServiceTypeID (should this field be numeric or text) I need the result in queries to be seen as text. Am I referrencing incorrectly if the ServiceTypeID's is appearing instead of a the ServiceName.
    Hi billjov,

The data types should be the same in both your main table as well as your lookup table per the lookup field. If you want your text to show from your lookup table rather than the ID, list your text field first and then the ID second in your lookup table. Hope this helps.
    AprilB

Thanks April!!