Thread: importing data

Question Unanswered: importing data

Hi all,

I am trying to import a big file(10 Lakh records) into my server. I am getting a problem transaction log fulled and data not loaded. Can any one tell how to import without writing in transaction log. If not, can any one suggest me how to do the above with out getting the error transaction log full.
    Thanks,
    sekhar rao k

Re: importing data

Use COMMITCOUNT parameter in your IMPORT Command ... This will ensure that the records are committed every n rows ...

Why not consider using LOAD instead of IMPORT ... For a million records, LOAD will perform exceptionally well when compared with IMPORT ... LOAD will not be using transaction logs ... But remember, the DELETE phase of LOAD uses transaction logs ... Hence if there are a large number of rows violating constraints(primary key for example) you could endup with a transaction log full message ...

HTH

Cheers

Sathyaram

Originally posted by k_sekhar_rao
    Hi all,

I am trying to import a big file(10 Lakh records) into my server. I am getting a problem transaction log fulled and data not loaded. Can any one tell how to import without writing in transaction log. If not, can any one suggest me how to do the above with out getting the error transaction log full.

use this

hi
    first thing it's better to use load inplace of import because import consumes lot of memory.

else the way out is that

increase the applheapsz configuration parameter of database.

update db cfg for <db-name> using <parameter> <value>
    UPDATE DATABASE CONFIGURATION FOR EA USING APPLHEAPSZ 2048

thanks
    ashu
    Ashutosh Mishra
    Accenture India,Chennai
    call on - +91-9884118430

Re: use this

[If you are looking at Performance, have a look at

http://dbforums.com/showthread.php?threadid=393899

Also the Performance Tuning Redbook has tips for improving IMPORT Performance

Cheers

Sathyaram