Question Unanswered: Autonumber stopped working

I have a master table with an Autonumber Primary key. This table has been used for the past three months, and currently has about 1300 records.

For some reason, the other day the Autonumber feature stopped working correctly. Instead of applying the next number, the Autonumber tried to apply a number starting from 1 (again). Then 2, then 3, etc.

I tried to repair the database, but that had no affect. Any ideas?

Just had similar problem

try looking at this

http://support.microsoft.com/default...en-us%3b291162

didn't help me fix it, but it did explain the issue

i've had the same problem you didn't do a compact and repair did you? the solusion is to get the latest pactch for the jet engine
    Definition of a Beginner, Someone who doesn't know the rules.

Definition of an Expert, Someone who knows when to ignore the rules.

Originally posted by m.timoney
    i've had the same problem you didn't do a compact and repair did you? the solusion is to get the latest pactch for the jet engine
    forgot something, that wont fix the problem (it might if you compact the DB again after the patch) but it will stoping it happening again, the problems details are that as part of the compacting process access wipes the variables that store current auto number posotions the newest verison of the engine now find the last auto number used if the avr is 0 and sets the autonumber variable to that before creating the record
    Definition of a Beginner, Someone who doesn't know the rules.

Definition of an Expert, Someone who knows when to ignore the rules.

Re: Just had similar problem

Thanks. That appears to be the problem. At least now I can take steps to prevent this in the future.

Yes, I did a compact and repair.. which per the article, apparently is what caused the problem.

You shoudl be able to import the data into a new table and the autonumber should start where it stopped at. If the last record was 1301, then when you import into a new table, the next should be 1302. You can then delete the old table and rename the new table what the old table used to be named. Make sure to set up all of your relationships.