Smile Unanswered: Oracle course question

To all oracle experts,

I am planning to do an Oracle course on backup and recovery. The purpose of doing this course was learning how to build a backup and recovery strategy for one of my company's databases, which is on oracle 8i at the moment. I have been looking around in the oracle website and discovered there is a backup and recovery strategy for just 8i. However, I am thinking of doing another course, which is called database fundamentals for 9i because it seems a bit more advanced and has more coverage than just backup and recovery topics. However, before decide which one I am going to do I want to find out the difference of the backup and recovery strategy between 8i and 9i. I have already look at their course giudes and could not tell the difference apart from technology perspective. Could any oracle expert tell me the answer?

Thanks,
    Andrew

Re: Oracle course question

Andrew,

I'm no expert in oracle 9i, however there's probably not much difference between 8i and 9i backup and recovery strategies. Additionally, is your company migrating to 9i? if they are perhaps it would be best to learn 9i's strategy. Not what you wanted to know, but I hope this helps.

ciao

M

Originally posted by andrewleung01
    To all oracle experts,

I am planning to do an Oracle course on backup and recovery. The purpose of doing this course was learning how to build a backup and recovery strategy for one of my company's databases, which is on oracle 8i at the moment. I have been looking around in the oracle website and discovered there is a backup and recovery strategy for just 8i. However, I am thinking of doing another course, which is called database fundamentals for 9i because it seems a bit more advanced and has more coverage than just backup and recovery topics. However, before decide which one I am going to do I want to find out the difference of the backup and recovery strategy between 8i and 9i. I have already look at their course giudes and could not tell the difference apart from technology perspective. Could any oracle expert tell me the answer?

Thanks,
    Andrew

Re: Oracle course question

Thanks for the reply, ciao.

I haven't heard any plan of going to 9i so far. In fact I prefer to do the 9i course since this could save me doing this later. Beside, it has more coverage than just backup and recovery topics, which would interest me in certain extent.

Again pls feel free to reply about which you think.

Andrew....

Question

Do you know how I could practice the backup and recovery strategies? I am sort of in the same boat as you expect I am planning to do the exam for backup and recovery. I have oracle 8i installed on my laptop and I would like to practice some of the strategies.