Question Unanswered: Can I replace my BCP with log shipping?

I have 2 SQL servers at a remote site and currently we FTP BCP data to our London site that is then BCP into other SQL databases.

I am wanting to simplify this and get rid of all the batch files we have and do the following....

Log ship from the remote site to London over the internet. The log shipping server can then function as a DR box for the remote site.

I then want to use replication from the DR box to our other (reporting) SQL servers in London.

The idea is to automate our currently manual BCP processes and trikle feed data to our servers throughout the day - thus keeping them up to date.

On the surface does this look like a good idea and is there any real reason why you might use a manual BCP over automated replication? As far as I know the data to the reporting SQL servers only needs to be read-only.
    Not knowing too much about replication - can I replicate just selected tables from databases?

Any good documents on this are welcome also

Many thanks

FunkyD

Re: Can I replace my BCP with log shipping?

The reason would be that in BCP case the most part of the job must be done manually. (without counting the horizontal filtering, that must be done each time you want to select your records - supposing you use "queryout" option)
    On the other hand, the replication is smoother and is full automated.(and allows you, of course, to select only the tables you want)

If you want to, I can send you extra-documentation from Microsoft SQL Server 2000 System Administration Training Kit

Originally posted by FunkyD
    I have 2 SQL servers at a remote site and currently we FTP BCP data to our London site that is then BCP into other SQL databases.

I am wanting to simplify this and get rid of all the batch files we have and do the following....

Log ship from the remote site to London over the internet. The log shipping server can then function as a DR box for the remote site.

I then want to use replication from the DR box to our other (reporting) SQL servers in London.

The idea is to automate our currently manual BCP processes and trikle feed data to our servers throughout the day - thus keeping them up to date.

On the surface does this look like a good idea and is there any real reason why you might use a manual BCP over automated replication? As far as I know the data to the reporting SQL servers only needs to be read-only.
    Not knowing too much about replication - can I replicate just selected tables from databases?

Any good documents on this are welcome also

Many thanks

FunkyD
    Steve

Re: Can I replace my BCP with log shipping?

We are using SQL 7 so it might not be the same as for SQL 2000? I figure that for moving data around we are better off using replication instead of BCP. I'm just not experienced enough in these areas to know whether this is the case or not

Originally posted by dbadelphes
    The reason would be that in BCP case the most part of the job must be done manually. (without counting the horizontal filtering, that must be done each time you want to select your records - supposing you use "queryout" option)
    On the other hand, the replication is smoother and is full automated.(and allows you, of course, to select only the tables you want)

If you want to, I can send you extra-documentation from Microsoft SQL Server 2000 System Administration Training Kit