Unhappy Unanswered: Linked Server Language Problem

Hi,
    I have got a problem with two sql 2000 linked servers,

On Server A it has the SA account and Developer account, which both have the British English Language Setting.
    On Server B you have the same accounts but SA has us_english Language.

The problem is that when running a stored procedure from Server A to the Linked Server B it fails on the Datetime Conversion, using the developer login but passes on SA, when you run the SP directly on Server B, the SA login Fails to run the SP and the Developer Login run's correctly.

This means that some where between the two servers the language setting is getting thrown off and swapping so instead of mapping
    Developer British English to Developer British English it is changing to us_English. and visa versa for the Sa Account.

What i need to know is where its going wrong and why. I have checked all of the Servers Language settings and they are fine. I have been unable to replicate the problem on any other servers. And am ready to pull my hair out.

Thanks in advance

Pete

Re: Linked Server Language Problem

Hi Pete,

First, check the collation for both servers and/or databases . If it's different then go to
    Linked Server Properties - Server Option - Collation Name (in the Linked Server Pane) and change it accordingly.

Originally posted by pgolne
    Hi,
    I have got a problem with two sql 2000 linked servers,

On Server A it has the SA account and Developer account, which both have the British English Language Setting.
    On Server B you have the same accounts but SA has us_english Language.

The problem is that when running a stored procedure from Server A to the Linked Server B it fails on the Datetime Conversion, using the developer login but passes on SA, when you run the SP directly on Server B, the SA login Fails to run the SP and the Developer Login run's correctly.

This means that some where between the two servers the language setting is getting thrown off and swapping so instead of mapping
    Developer British English to Developer British English it is changing to us_English. and visa versa for the Sa Account.

What i need to know is where its going wrong and why. I have checked all of the Servers Language settings and they are fine. I have been unable to replicate the problem on any other servers. And am ready to pull my hair out.

Thanks in advance

Pete
    Steve

Steve,
    Thanks for the response, but the problem is nothing to do with collation, as it is set up identically on both machines, it appears that the mapping of the languages through the linked server is going haywire!

Cheers

Pete

Did you try to change the language for SA account on B to British?

EXEC sp_defaultlanguage 'SA','British'
    Steve

Yes and it failed as expected. but when the query is run on the destination machine it works perfectly. Pointing to the fact that the Linked server login alias is failing.