Unanswered: transactions and multiple users in Access

Hi,

I'm trying to create a database online. It will be used by 15 people and it will hold about 10,000 records. Can Access do the job? The database has 3 tables and updating will be done on the primary table. In this case will I need transactions and if so, how will it be implemented (that is, will it be through a setting in Windows, through Access, or through the ASP page)? Also with multiple users, locking is required to handle situations where more than 1 person updates the same record. How is this handled in Access/ASP?

Re: transactions and multiple users in Access

Originally posted by Jflo
    Hi,

I'm trying to create a database online. It will be used by 15 people and it will hold about 10,000 records. Can Access do the job? The database has 3 tables and updating will be done on the primary table. In this case will I need transactions and if so, how will it be implemented (that is, will it be through a setting in Windows, through Access, or through the ASP page)? Also with multiple users, locking is required to handle situations where more than 1 person updates the same record. How is this handled in Access/ASP?
    I dont have all the answers to your questions, i know access can handle it using access data pages (new in 2000) im not sure about the locking issues though. Id look up all you can about access data pages and that should help u out
    Jim

You can find some information on opening a recordset and locking it down so one person cannot edit a record at the same time as another person at the following URL: http://www.manastungare.com/asp/tutorial/chapter10.asp

Data Access Pages could also get the job done as well, though usually I don't like to work with them because the WYSIWYG interface is very cumbersome to work with. Additionally, you can do a great deal more with ASP.

Just my 2 cents... hope this helps!

Jonathan