Thread: DB comparison

Talking Unanswered: DB comparison

Which is more reliable in terms of performance and cost effectiveness : ORACLE OR DB2? And which one is more easy to learn ? Guess thatz an easy questions.....Will be gratefull..if someone answers that..coz it's haunting me ..!!

Re: DB comparison

I'll say DB2 because it earns me my bread ...

Jokes apart, there is no right or wrong answer for this ....

the important things to see are what your application, availabiltiy requirement etc and go through how DB2 and Oracle support your requirements and choose the one you find to be close to your requirements ... For eg, if your application is a multi-terabyte datawarehouse, I'll suggest going for DB2 EEE (I hear someone say, you are not right!!!) ...

Another major factor is skill availability ... If everyone at ur place is comfortable with Oracle and it is going to take money and efforts to get on to a DB2, you might prefer Oracle (This point makes very little sense if u work for a Software Dev/Consulting Company) ..

And licensing cost of the products + the cost of the personnel required to keep the database uo and running ...

mmm ... There could be more to think about ...

Cheers

Sathyaram

Originally posted by Vinu Pillai
    Which is more reliable in terms of performance and cost effectiveness : ORACLE OR DB2? And which one is more easy to learn ? Guess thatz an easy questions.....Will be gratefull..if someone answers that..coz it's haunting me ..!!

Cool Re: DB comparison

Originally posted by sathyaram_s
    I'll say DB2 because it earns me my bread ...

Jokes apart, there is no right or wrong answer for this ....

the important things to see are what your application, availabiltiy requirement etc and go through how DB2 and Oracle support your requirements and choose the one you find to be close to your requirements ... For eg, if your application is a multi-terabyte datawarehouse, I'll suggest going for DB2 EEE (I hear someone say, you are not right!!!) ...

Another major factor is skill availability ... If everyone at ur place is comfortable with Oracle and it is going to take money and efforts to get on to a DB2, you might prefer Oracle (This point makes very little sense if u work for a Software Dev/Consulting Company) ..

And licensing cost of the products + the cost of the personnel required to keep the database uo and running ...

mmm ... There could be more to think about ...

Cheers

Sathyaram

Thanks Mr. Sathyaram,

I think that ur point is very much clear but yes, ur right THERE COULD BE MORE TO THINK ABOUT.....I posted this question in order clarify that where ORACLE stands in front of DB2..coz i found DB2 tough to handle but very interesting to work on....!!!! I been working on it for past 2 years and handled several project excluding the programming part which i am going to work on after tha certification.
    I think ORACLE is also cool..but i will say something about it after become a OCP ..!

thanks and again Sathyaram,
    vinu

i worked on oracle for several years and got some experience with db2 now. both databases have a fine performance and both are easy to handle although oracle made a big mistake the time they introduced version 8i and following versions. everything became slower and in comparison to 8.06 installation was more problematic and needed more ressources. besides oracle still does not follow SQL92. if a could choose, i'd choose DB2

If u r really looking to evaluate the DB2 Vs Oracle you can find some use full information on the DH Brown Website. Also I myself have done the comparative studies on DB2 and Oracle for some very big companies and results depend upon what is the scoring meathod used based upon the database requirements.

Rishi ,

It will be of benefit to the forum members if you can share your experience of studies you conducted for the companies and what scoring methods the companies used to decide on the database ...

Thanks

Sathyaram

Originally posted by rishi001
    If u r really looking to evaluate the DB2 Vs Oracle you can find some use full information on the DH Brown Website. Also I myself have done the comparative studies on DB2 and Oracle for some very big companies and results depend upon what is the scoring meathod used based upon the database requirements.