Arrow Unanswered: User problem for DB2

hi all,
    I have installed DB2 V.7 successfully on Linux box 6.2. The post-installation was ended with creating a DB2 administrator and an DB2 instance. Now i go to /home/<instance_dir>/sqllib/bin and run tha command ./db2, it generates tha following error

SQL10007N Message "-1390" could not be retrieved. Reason code: "1"

I identified tha problem that it was a login (root's) problem so i logged into tha system with instance owner and gone to same directory and executed tha command and at tha db2 prompt i executed db2start and it worked fine. Then i created one more instance and done tha same i.e. logged into tha system with instance owner and gone to same directory and executed tha command and it worked. Now i have two seperate instances on which i have to login seperately and work on tha instance.

All i wanted to do is that root should also access tha instances so that i can attach (by issuing ATTACH <INSTANCE_NAME>) to every instance and work on tha individual databases through single (root) login mode. I know tha procedural way to edit the root's .profile file by putting up some path or stuff like that but i don't know where to put in and what to put in ? Please help coz login-in to every instance is a real big pain for me . A detailed help will be appreciative. Thanks in Advance.

Rgds,
    Vinu

Re: User problem for DB2

A script db2profile in the instance owner's homedir/sqllib is used to setup the DB2 Environment Variables for the instance ...

So, if you want to work with an instance, run the $INSTHOME/sqllib/db2profile script in the current shell ...

HTH

Sathyaram

Originally posted by Vinu Pillai
    hi all,
    I have installed DB2 V.7 successfully on Linux box 6.2. The post-installation was ended with creating a DB2 administrator and an DB2 instance. Now i go to /home/<instance_dir>/sqllib/bin and run tha command ./db2, it generates tha following error

SQL10007N Message "-1390" could not be retrieved. Reason code: "1"

I identified tha problem that it was a login (root's) problem so i logged into tha system with instance owner and gone to same directory and executed tha command and at tha db2 prompt i executed db2start and it worked fine. Then i created one more instance and done tha same i.e. logged into tha system with instance owner and gone to same directory and executed tha command and it worked. Now i have two seperate instances on which i have to login seperately and work on tha instance.

All i wanted to do is that root should also access tha instances so that i can attach (by issuing ATTACH <INSTANCE_NAME>) to every instance and work on tha individual databases through single (root) login mode. I know tha procedural way to edit the root's .profile file by putting up some path or stuff like that but i don't know where to put in and what to put in ? Please help coz login-in to every instance is a real big pain for me . A detailed help will be appreciative. Thanks in Advance.

Rgds,
    Vinu

more problems :(

thanks for u help man.!

I ran tha script but it got worse now whenever i create database or do list tables it gives tha following error :

db2 => create database vin
    SQL1092N "ROOT " does not have the authority to perform the requested
    command.

Please give some link to some doc/site so that i can see the user specified task in database. I am quite confused on it. PLease help. Thanks in advance.

Rgds,
    Vinu.

Hi,
    I have installed DB2 8 Enterprise Server edition on my Server (windows 2000) and the Sample Database creation failed with error number: SQL 1092N. THe same error number when openning the control center.
    I am logged into the server as Administrator.
    Any help will be appreciated. I tried to run the Control center
    Ravi

HI,

please check if there is another db2 user configured on your windows machine, ideally db2admin. If there is, you should work with that user's login.

Earlier versions of DB2 had trouble with user names longer than 8 characters. This should have been remedied by now, but I would always stick to short names.

Johann

Originally posted by imantras_ravi
    Hi,
    I have installed DB2 8 Enterprise Server edition on my Server (windows 2000) and the Sample Database creation failed with error number: SQL 1092N. THe same error number when openning the control center.
    I am logged into the server as Administrator.
    Any help will be appreciated. I tried to run the Control center
    Ravi

Hi,
    Thanks for the reply. I do not have any earlier versions of DB2 in the server. Though the Client machines have DB2 8.x or Db2 7.x.
    We had similar problem during installation in a client machine, where we created another user with Administrator rights and successfully installed the DB2 and also applied the Fix pack 4a. The fix pack was mainly installed to resolve the XADatasource error(error-code -6)