Thread: Randomize

Unhappy Unanswered: Randomize

Question. I need to create Serial Numbers for unserialized items. I would like to start using SP-0470, can this be accomplished?? Each time a Surge Supressor is entered into the data base I would like for it to have its own serial number...thanks for your input

Re: Randomize

Originally posted by PooHunny
    Question. I need to create Serial Numbers for unserialized items. I would like to start using SP-0470, can this be accomplished?? Each time a Surge Supressor is entered into the data base I would like for it to have its own serial number...thanks for your input
    that deepend on how you want to do it, if you want to do it with random numbers it's fairly easy but the processiing overhead goes throught the roof on big databases as you have to test evey number against every other to see if it's a duplicate
    Definition of a Beginner, Someone who doesn't know the rules.

Definition of an Expert, Someone who knows when to ignore the rules.

Originally posted by m.timoney
    that deepend on how you want to do it, if you want to do it with random numbers it's fairly easy but the processiing overhead goes throught the roof on big databases as you have to test evey number against every other to see if it's a duplicate
    Well I noticed that all surge supressors have a number on them...the bad thing is that they are all the same. Could I run a IIF and have Access automatically add a number every time it sees that number come up?

Originally posted by PooHunny
    Well I noticed that all surge supressors have a number on them...the bad thing is that they are all the same. Could I run a IIF and have Access automatically add a number every time it sees that number come up?
    will they all be "SP-####"

if so "SP-" & (max(abs(val([code])))+1) might work then
    Definition of a Beginner, Someone who doesn't know the rules.

Definition of an Expert, Someone who knows when to ignore the rules.