Unanswered: 8.0.5 export problem

Hi,

I have a 8.0.5.0.0 database (so no patches installed) and I created an dump file. Our client has a 8.0.5.2.1 version and has a problem importing my dump file. Is it possible that the problem is caused by the "version difference" or could it be something else?
    Johan

Hi

What's the error stack (when it's something like * incompatible export views* it's a version problem.

Please post the error messages.

Remi
    Remi Visser

Oracle Database Administrator
    (OCP certified 8i)

Homepage: http://home.remidian.com/

Hi,

thanks for the reaction, but my client has solved the problem after trying for a while (i'm still waiting to see what was actually the error), but I would like to make my question a little broader, namely what versions are supposed to be "compatible". Is it possible (maybe with some minor changes to be applied) to connect between 8.0 versions or between two 8i versions or between 8.0 and 8i. If not, what is causing the problem?
    Johan

Smile

There are two simple rules to follow:

1. When exporting use the lower version of exp utility from the two Oracle versions. For example if you have 8.0.5 and 8.1.7, and you want to export 8.0.5 - then export with 8.0.5 exp by connecting to the 8.0.5 locally. If you want to export 8.1.7, then use the 8.0.5 exp again but login into the 8.1.7 db with TNS alias remotelly.

2. When importing the rule is reverse - to import 8.0.5 db - export with 8.0.5 exp and import with 8.1.7 imp.

Hope that helps,

clio_usa - OCP - DBA

What I actually meant was, can I "always" import/export between 8.0s (lets say 8.05 and 8.06)? And can I always import/export between 8.1s (for example 8.1.5 and 8.17) or do these utilities change with every new version that is released by Oracle?
    Johan

Smile

Yes they change. exp/imp utilities depends on certain data dictionary views, created with catexp.sql script.

One have to follow the version rules, to be able to create dump file which will be imported on different Oracle version.

Here is an example what you will get if trying to export 8.1.7 db with Oracle 9.1.0 exp utility:

C:\WINNT\system32>exp parfile=c:\temp\temp.par

Export: Release 9.0.1.1.1 - Production on Thu Mar 6 10:17:27 2003

(c) Copyright 2001 Oracle Corporation. All rights reserved.

EXP-00008: ORACLE error 604 encountered
    ORA-00604: error occurred at recursive SQL level 1
    ORA-00942: table or view does not exist
    EXP-00000: Export terminated unsuccessfully

C:\WINNT\system32>

ORA-00942: table or view does not exist

Hope that helps,

clio_usa - OCP - DBA