Angry Unanswered: !!!URGENT!!! My SQL SERVER STOPPED running , MDAC_TYP.exe

hi all,
    i have a problem with my sql server...
    I've installed MDAC_TYP.exe which is MS Data Access Components or something like that... anyway during installation it asked me to stop 4 application and one of them was sqlserv.exe file or somethin like that, then when I restarted my comp, it's just stopped and I couldnt be able to make it work again.... I can see another server and work on it by using SQL Enteprise Manager but not mine...

Thanx in advance

Re: !!!URGENT!!! My SQL SERVER STOPPED running , MDAC_TYP.exe

Here are some questions and some suggestions:

1. What O/S are you running (NT, XP, 2000, Windows 9x)?

2. What version of SQL are you running (MSDE, 7.0, 2000)?

3. Do you have SQL set up to auto start when O/S starts?

4. What version of MDAC were you trying to update?

Suggestions:

1. Look at your event viewer under Applications. There may be some entries there to indicate what the problem may be.

2. Look at your ERRORLOG file in %Program Files%\Microsoft SQL Server\MSSQL\LOG directory. Also look at the previous versions of the same file (.1, .2, .3, etc)

3. Try re-installing just the client tools (this may not be a good suggestion, be very careful with it).

4. Try starting SQL server from the command prompt. You can watch the entries that are made in the ERRORLOG file as they scroll up the window.

If all else fails, you can try saving your .mdf and .ldf files and reinstalling SQL server and then attaching these files to your new instance of SQL Server. Or you could try restoring from backup.

Best of luck, let us know what happens.

Regards,

Hugh Scott

Originally posted by cuneyt
    hi all,
    i have a problem with my sql server...
    I've installed MDAC_TYP.exe which is MS Data Access Components or something like that... anyway during installation it asked me to stop 4 application and one of them was sqlserv.exe file or somethin like that, then when I restarted my comp, it's just stopped and I couldnt be able to make it work again.... I can see another server and work on it by using SQL Enteprise Manager but not mine...

Thanx in advance

thanx

thanx man, i got the reason from errorlogs, simply

2003-03-06 13:07:11.52 server SQL Server evaluation period has expired.

But I still dont know what is the deal with MDAC, is it somehow triggers the system to check if it is expired or not ---actually i dont think this'd be the answer but i'm writing anyways cuz Microsoft dont do that kinda mistakes in a product which is called something 2K.. ---

well thanx anyways....
    have a good one...

Re: thanx

If I recall correctly, the expiration is checked only on start up. So if you rebooted after installing the MDAC, that's when SQL checked and found the exipiration date for the evaluation period had expired. It happened to me a long time ago when I was fooling around with SQL 7.0.

I hope you got everything you needed!

Regards,

Hugh Scott

Originally posted by cuneyt
    thanx man, i got the reason from errorlogs, simply

2003-03-06 13:07:11.52 server SQL Server evaluation period has expired.

But I still dont know what is the deal with MDAC, is it somehow triggers the system to check if it is expired or not ---actually i dont think this'd be the answer but i'm writing anyways cuz Microsoft dont do that kinda mistakes in a product which is called something 2K.. ---

well thanx anyways....
    have a good one...