Unanswered: URGENT: Primary File Group Can't Grow!!

SQLServer 7.0

Is there a 100 gig limit on File Groups?

We have 1 file of around 77 gig limited not to expand any further and another file of 22 gig marked unlimited expansion, but we are still getting Page Allocation Failures in the Primary File Group. Note that this has been working for 2 years and suddenly stopped - right around the 100 gig mark.

Support says to create new objects in a different file group and dts the data over to the new object in the new group and then delete the original, etc.

Is there a cleaner way to move tables and indexes between file groups?

Thanks...

Re: URGENT: Primary File Group Can't Grow!!

To the best of my knowledge, there is no 100GB limit to SQL Server; not at the database level, nor at the filegroup level.

Also, to the best of my knowledge, there is no "easy" way to move a table or other object from one file group to another.

I might suggest some things that are a little easier to move than tables:

1. Take a look at your indexes. If any of them are on the 77 GB filegroup, then drop and recreate them on the other filegroup.

2. I think (but I'm not positive) that constraints may be associated to a filegroup; drop any that are on the 77 GB partition and recreate them on the new partition.

3. Identify any table/object that is large, but is not being used and move it (vice moving 'active' objects).

I hope everything turns out okay; I can't offer you any easy solution to this one.

Regards,

Hugh Scott

Originally posted by tsclark
    SQLServer 7.0

Is there a 100 gig limit on File Groups?

We have 1 file of around 77 gig limited not to expand any further and another file of 22 gig marked unlimited expansion, but we are still getting Page Allocation Failures in the Primary File Group. Note that this has been working for 2 years and suddenly stopped - right around the 100 gig mark.

Support says to create new objects in a different file group and dts the data over to the new object in the new group and then delete the original, etc.

Is there a cleaner way to move tables and indexes between file groups?

Thanks...