Unanswered: no ODBC link option

I want to connect to MySQL through ODBC over an intranet with Access2000 running on Windows2000Pro.

I've tried to link an external data source from the menu bar; FILE-»GET EXTERNAL DATA-»LINK TABLES... without success. ODBC simply is not an option in the FILES OF TYPE drop down list on the LINK dialog box! I can't find an easy way to hack into this bit of fuctionality without the LINK dialog. I'm just stuck.

When I test the data link properties with a 'Data Link.uld' file with MySQLserver as the DSN--tada, a successful connection. Apparently, the OS can make the connection but Access can not.

MySQLserver is set up with the MySQL driver as a User AND System ODBC data scource. What could be wrong?

Post Connecting to MySQL from Access

It is definately possible to connect to MySQL from Access. You need to install the MySQL ODBC drivers (available from the MySQL web site) then have access link to the ODBC table. I've done it before, so I know it can be done.

Re: Connecting to MySQL from Access

Yeah, I did that on 3 machines. It worked fine. My own machine, however, is not so cooperative. It seems that I have some issue with Access2000 that reinstallation will not fix--one of the reasons for moving to another desktop database engine!

Have you ever come across this before?

Re: Connecting to MySQL from Access

Originally posted by iuoe
    Yeah, I did that on 3 machines. It worked fine. My own machine, however, is not so cooperative. It seems that I have some issue with Access2000 that reinstallation will not fix--one of the reasons for moving to another desktop database engine!

Have you ever come across this before?
    When I set it up, it was on Windows98 using Access 97. I was basically testing to see how it would work. What is your machine doing that causes it to not work?