Unanswered: Newbie Question / Problem with IBM-Docs / DB2COMM

Hi there.

I'm a student and work in my free time for a company using DB2..
    It seems noone here knows how to configure or administrate it. They just inserted the CD, clicked "Install" on Win2k and it worked - well, kind of. It's really slow and the Windows-System isn't that stable.
    That said, I tried to install DB2 on a Linux-System..
    After fighting some very odd things in for example the db2cc-script I'm stuck with a System that won't allow any non-local communication.
    Packet filter/Firewall is definitely not the problem.
    I used db2set DB2COMM=tcpip -g and can access this variable. When I start the server (db2start), I get:
    SQL8007W There are "89" day(s) left in the evaluation period for the product
    "DB2 Enterprise Edition". For evaluation license terms and conditions, refer
    to the IBM Evaluation Agreement in the EVALUATE.AGR file, located in the
    following directory: "/usr/IBMdb2/V7.1/Readme/C".
    SQL5043N Support for one or more communications protocols failed to start successfully. However, core database manager functionality started successfully.

Please don't beat me: I've no idea where to start. The problem may be, that I don't know how/where to assign the port/service for the server. I read huge amounts of IBM-Docs already, but I'm still stuck. Anyone friendly enough to lend me a helping hand?

I'm using DB2 7.2 with fixpack 5 on Gentoo Linux.

Thanks,
    Ben
    Last edited by Blafasel; 03-07-03 at 08:01.

Re: Newbie Question / Problem with IBM-Docs / DB2COMM

Sorry..
    Murphy again. Just after posting this I found the site http://www7b.boulder.ibm.com/dmdd/li...0301chong.html and the "db2 get dbm cfg" command. *blush*

Ben

Re: Newbie Question / Problem with IBM-Docs / DB2COMM

Have a look at

http://dbforums.com/t506495.html

for more links to db2 info on the web

Cheers

Sathyaram

Provided Answers: 5
    You also might want to look at:

http://www.ibiblio.org/pub/Linux/doc.../DB2-HOWTO.pdf

It details how to install DB2 V 7.x on linux.

Andy

Thanks to both of you for your kind responses.
    I'm currently reviewing both websites to find a solution to my next problem: ODBC-connect from Windows works, JDBC doesn't, in spite of a running db2jd..

ARWinner:
    Are you one of the authors of this pdf-File? I thought about contributing to the howto with some details on setting up DB2 on Gentoo Linux (Not rpm-based, without ibm-jdk here). Only if I manage to understand it, that is.

Ben
    Last edited by Blafasel; 03-07-03 at 11:51.

Nope, not one of the authors. But I find it invaluable everytime I need do to another install on Linux (which is all we use).

Andy

Originally posted by Blafasel
    Thanks to both of you for your kind responses.
    I'm currently reviewing both websites to find a solution to my next problem: ODBC-connect from Windows works, JDBC doesn't, in spite of a running db2jd..

ARWinner:
    Are you one of the authors of this pdf-File? I thought about contributing to the howto with some details on setting up DB2 on Gentoo Linux (Not rpm-based, without ibm-jdk here). Only if I manage to understand it, that is.

Ben

Well, I'll think about contacting the author when I'm done..
    It's really nice, but I'm already done with the installation.

I'll have to read to the IBM-Docs *shiver* sathyaram_s provided to solve my problem with JDBC, I guess.. I hate this bloated Documents.. I vote for manpages ;-)

Do you happen to know what "Server doesn't respond" could tell me? A Windows-Client always claims that it cannot reach my DB, but ODBC happily does connect to it?

Nope, I have not had any trouble connecting windows based clients to any linux DB2 server. Have you tried using the Client Configuration Assistant (in manual mode) to configure the connection? This is how we setup our clients.

Andy

Originally posted by Blafasel
    Well, I'll think about contacting the author when I'm done..
    It's really nice, but I'm already done with the installation.

I'll have to read to the IBM-Docs *shiver* sathyaram_s provided to solve my problem with JDBC, I guess.. I hate this bloated Documents.. I vote for manpages ;-)

Do you happen to know what "Server doesn't respond" could tell me? A Windows-Client always claims that it cannot reach my DB, but ODBC happily does connect to it?

Yes, I did on the Client that works. But that added the Database as ODBC-Source. I thought it would be possible to use the DB without this, just by a JDBC-Path-String.
    And that's exactly my problem. It seems to work with another DB2-System running on Windows. Seems to be my fault..