Arrow Unanswered: The fastest way to insert lots of rows?

Hi all,

our application needs to insert lots of rows from time to time, i;m talking about 500-2000 at a time. I found that the most efficient way to do this is to combine all INSERT SQL statements into groups of 50 and execute them like that.

Is there any other better faster way to do this?

any help is appreciated,
    wojo.

have you checked out BCP.exe or Bulk Insert or DTS. Excelent documentation can be found in Books Online. These have the ability to load 100+ rows a second.
    Paul Young
    (Knowledge is power! Get some!)

Where is the Data coming from (logically)

Are you importing it ?

GW
    "Everything should be made as simple as possible, but not simpler." - Albert Einstein
    "Everything should be made as complex as possible, so I look Cleverer." - Application Developer

no, im bulding data dynamically.

Then it's probably down 2 the fastest way your application can dump/output the data

- then say use BCP.exe (possibly using a stored procedure to call it) if it's dumped to a text file

what language u writing your app in ?

seems strange your app should only want to do it in Chunks

methinks more info required

GW
    "Everything should be made as simple as possible, but not simpler." - Albert Einstein
    "Everything should be made as complex as possible, so I look Cleverer." - Application Developer

im using VB under COM+

We have a Java front end but face this problem often. We found it faster to write a delimited file to a server and then bulk insert that file to a hold ing table. Once all the data is in the holding table we then move the data to it's final home.
    Paul Young
    (Knowledge is power! Get some!)

Existing Data held in

Array, ResultSet , Collection or ?

hmm, data is being queried and worked on, it computes match % and throws the result into collection for later insertion.

thanks GWilly

Cool k collection thx

k collection thx

U workin Late Shiz

Hope they payin U enuff !!

methinks VB Collection <<>> SQL Server

If the Data is in a VB Collection then this will be the performance Bottleneck Cycling Through them.

If you did'nt want to insert the data directly into the target table by passing the Row Field Values to a SP using Passed Variable's each time you loop through the collection

Then I would Suspect you're probably as well creating a temporary #Table inserting each row or Multiple Rows (Bulk Insert)

Then Calling a SP to Bulk Insert the Temp Table Data into it's final home after any neccesary Sanity Checks on the Data and Transaction Wrapping.

I'm not sure if this is the best way - there are certainly a number of ways to do it - but your data is already in a high overhead position to start with.

Hope this helps & Hope that someone else posts other idea's as I would assume getting data from a VB Collection into SQL Server is a common Occurence

Good Luck

GW

Thank you GWilliy and Paul Young for your suggestions, i will let you know if it helped.

regards,
    wojo