Unanswered: Start Installation

Hi all,
    I am using win2000 as Operating system.
    I have Oracle 8i Installation kit with me. When I click Install Products from the Autorun, the autorun window closes and nothing happens. I double clicked on the setup.exe in the root folder, nothing happens. I double clicked on setup.exe file in the win32 folder under install folder, nothing happens. For all my actions I find a new process jrew in the task manager for a couple of seconds and then exits. I really dont understand why I am not able to start the installation. Please help me.

are you installing on a pentium IV processor?

then try the following:

copy the install CD contents to disk
    \cd\Disk1\stage\Components\oracle.swd.jre\1.1.7.30 \1\DataFiles\Expanded\jre\win32\bin\symcjit.dll
    rename symcjit.dll to symcjit.dll.old

Thanks for the help. You gave me a good starting point to work with. I noticed jrew.rpt file in the directory you specified which contains 'Access violation' messages. I renamed the file you specified and deleted the jrew.rpt file. I then restarted my machine to double click on setup.exe file. Still the same problem persists. I find the file jrew.rpt generated. An entry for the error message is made whenever I double click the setup.exe. I using oracle 8.1.7 installation kit on PIV processor. Still no final solution to my problem.

Originally posted by osy45
    are you installing on a pentium IV processor?

then try the following:

copy the install CD contents to disk
    \cd\Disk1\stage\Components\oracle.swd.jre\1.1.7.30 \1\DataFiles\Expanded\jre\win32\bin\symcjit.dll
    rename symcjit.dll to symcjit.dll.old

Hi Mohamed,

osy45 is 99% right on the symcjit.dll change but you need to rename this file wherever it occurs on your PC and also wherever it occurs on the installation CD as you don't know what paths the Java runtime will be looking in. Invariably you'll have a couple of versions of this kicking around your PC.

It's part of the Java runtime which detects the CPU type and is bugged on P4s.

Once you've done the install you can rename them back if you want (personally I would leave them, they're not actually needed).

HTH
    Bill

I had a old version of JRE in my machine. I removed that and all other oracle components in my machine, cleaned the registry, reboot and then the installation went fine. Thanks for all your support. I have one problem now. Whenever the Oracle HTTP Service is started it keeps popping up message as 'java.exe error'. I got an advice that I need to comment the SQLNET.AUTHENTICATION_SERVICES parameter in the sqlnet.ora file. I did that and then reboot the machine. Still when the Oracle HTTP Service starts it pops up java.exe error messages. Another thing is that I am not able to find the Diagnostics and Tuning Pack in my machine. I installed Oracle 8i 8.1.7 Version successfully but still Diagnostics and Tuning pack could not be found.

Originally posted by billm
    Hi Mohamed,

osy45 is 99% right on the symcjit.dll change but you need to rename this file wherever it occurs on your PC and also wherever it occurs on the installation CD as you don't know what paths the Java runtime will be looking in. Invariably you'll have a couple of versions of this kicking around your PC.

It's part of the Java runtime which detects the CPU type and is bugged on P4s.

Once you've done the install you can rename them back if you want (personally I would leave them, they're not actually needed).

HTH
    Bill