at the corner of flotsam & jetsam, just within the walls of reality

Unanswered: how do you use mysql?

hello, all:

i'm not new to databases, but i am new to database-driven websites. i've not created one before, but i am currently in the process of reading a book on database-driven websites, but i was wondering, for all you mySQL experts out there or those using mySQL, how are you using it? i would really love to hear specifics, such as allowing queries on your site, etc.

additionally, can anyone tell me if the following is possible:

- data entry into the db via a login gui on the website?
    - after new record submitted into db, redirect page is a page itemizing that particular entry? (this would be used to give a printable copy of the entry for papertrail purposes)
    - after new record is submitted to db, autoemail is sent to email address submitted (email address is a field), confirming that that record entry into db? (there must also be a way to confirm this email is valid -- can the db do this?)
    - querying the db, but only querying records that user entered?

thanks in advance for any help offered.

You can use mySQL anyway, for the most part, that you can use MS SQL.

As for your questions:

1) Yes you can dataentry via a website GUI

2) Yes, after adding you can redirect to the record you just added using the SELECT LAST_INSERT_ID() mySQL command, to get the last inserted record for the current connection (works very well once you get it figured out)

3) Sure you can have an email sent after you add a record to the DB, not sure exact steps to do this, but it is possible. And NO, the DB can NOT confirm if the email address is valid. JS or VBS could make sure it is in the correct format, but nothing will be able to tell you if the email is valid.

4) Not too sure how you want to search only records that the current user entered. Maybe have them login each time they access the site so you know who accessing the date and show them only data with there 'name' attached to it. Of course, you would have to write this to the DB when adding the record. But I am sure you could figure out the logic for this.

Hope this helps you.....asking for examples on how to use mySQL will get you endless results. I use mySQL here for all DB driven stuff. With searchs done for just about anything (EG Account Numbers, Dates.....etc).

You should only run into problems with mySQL if your site\DB becomes MASSIVE. But I haven't noticed any difference between mySQL and MS SQL Server for queries here, done on 100,000's of records.

at the corner of flotsam & jetsam, just within the walls of reality
    thank you so much for your response! i've posted this question on two forums, and yours is the first feedback i have received. you insight is very enlightening.