Unanswered: connections how many to use

hi,

i have an application for which i m using a connection which stays throughout the life of the application. this is a normal sqloledb connection.

but now i stumbled across datashape which i have to use for this complex query.

now the problem is that i will have to use another connection, as the provider is different.

what shud i do? 2 connections 4 a single user? i will need both the connections as while saving i need the shape connection again
    and for browsing will need another.

thnx

Doesn't sound like you have a choice.
    Shouldn't be a problem unless you have msde or personal edition.

but then with the number of users growing wouldnt that slow down things.
    i also want to make sure performance isnt affected.

unless i solve this query: http://dbforums.com/t715674.html, i will have to use datashape.

What type of application are we talking about? When using ASP(.NET) or VB(.NET) there is a thing called connection-pooling, and what it basically does is "cache" your connection to the database so each time you create it it doesn't really get created, it just gets re-enabled. This depends on one single thing; that the connectionstring is the same throughout your application. If you have 10 users using one connstring an 1 user using another both connections have to physically be created each time that 1 user has made a pagehit.

So what I'm basically saying is: avoid different connectionstrings if you can.
    Frettmaestro
    "Real programmers don't document, if it was hard to write it should be hard to understand!"

well i m using the same connection for all users, m using VB 6 sp5, have defined a connectionstring in a bas module and that same string is used to connect so i can use pooling there.

But the problem is that the application requires me to connect to the d/b using MSDATASHAPE for fetching records, now i need to connect to the d/b to validate certain things on the fly like lookup and search.

can i use the msdatashape connection to use any other provider for executing normal sql queries?

You might have troublt getting connection pooling to have any affect if the connections are made from the client.
    If you have a remote DB access layer then it would - but then you probably wouldn't be holding connections.

olap

uh you should drop the shape thing and look into sql server analysis services.

with this, you can render an mdx statement in a view-- and you can have it take any shape you want.
    Access 2002 ADP Rocks my World

Long live SQL Server and 64bit Windows!!!

i didnt knw that.
    do u knw any place where i can begin that?

also the problem with shape is that i have to then use different recordsets for viewing/editing etc for each child recordset.
    thats not good at all is it?