Unanswered: Combo box oddness

I am trying to Write a vba if statement that tests if the combobox has anything in it or not and the if statement doesn't seem to find a NULL value or a blank one.
    I can't figure out why.

heres the code:
    If cmbFormcodeGrouping = Null Then
    strFormcodeSQL = "SELECT * FROM products Where manufacturer = """ & Me!cmbFormcodeManufacturer _
    & """ AND prod_group = """ & cmbFormcodeProdGroup & """ AND inactive = FALSE AND grouping = '" _
    & "' Order By " & Me!cmbFormcodeOrder
    strFormcodeOutfile = "c:\formcode.txt"
    Else
    strFormcodeSQL = "SELECT * FROM products Where manufacturer = """ & Me!cmbFormcodeManufacturer _
    & """ AND prod_group = """ & cmbFormcodeProdGroup & """ AND inactive = FALSE AND grouping = '" _
    & cmbFormcodeGrouping & "' Order By " & Me!cmbFormcodeOrder

End If

Where cmbFormcodeGrouping is my combobox.

Please help!!
    Cheers,
    Dion

Change your If statement format to:
    If IsNull(cmbFormcodeGrouping) Then

Here is what Microsoft says about checking for Null.
    IsNull Function
    Returns a Boolean value that indicates whether an expression contains no valid data (Null).
    Syntax

IsNull(expression)

The required expression argument is a Variant containing a numeric expression or string expression.

Remarks
    IsNull returns True if expression is Null; otherwise, IsNull returns False. If expression consists of more than one variable, Null in any constituent variable causes True to be returned for the entire expression.

The Null value indicates that the Variant contains no valid data. Null is not the same as Empty, which indicates that a variable has not yet been initialized. It is also not the same as a zero-length string (""), which is sometimes referred to as a null string.

Important Use the IsNull function to determine whether an expression contains a Null value. Expressions that you might expect to evaluate to True under some circumstances, such as If Var = Null and If Var <> Null, are always False. This is because any expression containing a Null is itself Null and, therefore, False.

cheers

I knew it was some syntax I'd mucked up.
    cheers