Unanswered: Update db config parameter SORTHEAP

I am planning to update the sort heap size. I wanna know if I have to take any precautions while doing that. Can it be done without any down time.

I have determined what the sortheap size should be. I have also kept an eye on SHEAPTHRES. That is taken care.

But my question is
    1. Can I do it on the fly when the database is up and being used by all the users. Is it technically a possibility ?

P.S. I assume I may have to think about the impact on performance when the users are using it at the very same time.

Will appreciate any inputs. !!!!

Re: Update db config parameter SORTHEAP

Normally database configuration parameter require all applications to disconnect before it can apply the new changes. You don't have to kick any user out just wait from them to log off and it will automatically adjust itself.

dollar

Originally posted by Antony1018
    I am planning to update the sort heap size. I wanna know if I have to take any precautions while doing that. Can it be done without any down time.

I have determined what the sortheap size should be. I have also kept an eye on SHEAPTHRES. That is taken care.

But my question is
    1. Can I do it on the fly when the database is up and being used by all the users. Is it technically a possibility ?

P.S. I assume I may have to think about the impact on performance when the users are using it at the very same time.

Will appreciate any inputs. !!!!

If you are on V8, sortheap can be configured online ...

If on V8, you might need to consider sheapthres_shr also ..

HTH

Sathyaram

You should size your sheapthres to be divisiable by sortheap, if you normally have 10 active sorts, you sheapthres shouldbe 10 * sort_heap. You need to make sure that you size this correctly, to minamize sort overflows but also you don't get sort_heap errors from trying to over allocate the sheapthres, You must also make sure you don't over allocate your DBM global memory.