Unanswered: favorite application dev IDE? (toad, pl/sql developer, rapid sql)

Just curious about everyone's favorite pl/sql IDE. I have used toad almost exclusively, and am curious about others experience. I spend alot of time in debug mode, and writing Stored Procs. Almost no time doing DBA tasks.

Any advice? Thoughts?

Provided Answers: 1

Re: favorite application dev IDE? (toad, pl/sql developer, rapid sql)

Originally posted by haqfar
    Just curious about everyone's favorite pl/sql IDE. I have used toad almost exclusively, and am curious about others experience. I spend alot of time in debug mode, and writing Stored Procs. Almost no time doing DBA tasks.

Any advice? Thoughts?
    SQL Plus and my favourite text editor, TextPad!

I used to be a TOAD fan. However, I've recently switched to PL/SQL Developer by AllroundAutomation. You get a better interface than TOAD (IMHO) and it is MUCH cheaper.

I use PL/SQL developer which is very good. All the devs here use text editors and worksheets: inefficient and unprofessional.

I'll give Tora a try.
    Cordialement

Originally posted by Crassus
    All the devs here use text editors and worksheets: inefficient and unprofessional.
    A provocative comment! Having already said that I use a text editor and SQL Plus, I am personally affronted! If you find that a sexy GUI helps you work better, good for you. But remember, a good developer can still produce better code quicker with a text editor and SQL Plus than a bad one can with any fancy tools.

Actually, I do sometimes use Toad to browse the data dictionary and the database - but NOT as an IDE.

Don't want to get on the wrong side of the moderator. No offense intended to those that do not use a sexy IDE.

I should not doubt of your efficiency even with pencil and paper.

I see the developers labouring the debugging process. An IDE provides a more efficient means to do it. There are also other areas which would be sped up, just for the fact to have everything there in the one IDE.
    Cordialement

Thumbs up

but some job must done under Unix/Linux, so I like sqlplus

Originally posted by andrewst
    But remember, a good developer can still produce better code quicker with a text editor and SQL Plus than a bad one can with any fancy tools.
    I used to think like this as well. However, I was convinced the first time I ran the TOAD debugger on a package I was having a problem with. I caught the problem in about 5 minutes instead of what would have easily taken me 2 hours to debug with dbms_output and all the other crude SQL*Plus tools. I have been an IDE convert ever since.

Besides, not everybody is as proficient at SQL and PL/SQL as Tony

Originally posted by yikaikai
    but some job must done under Unix/Linux, so I like sqlplus
    I'll think you'll find TOra useful in that case.
    Cordialement

Originally posted by marist89
    I used to think like this as well. However, I was convinced the first time I ran the TOAD debugger on a package I was having a problem with. I caught the problem in about 5 minutes instead of what would have easily taken me 2 hours to debug with dbms_output and all the other crude SQL*Plus tools. I have been an IDE convert ever since.

Besides, not everybody is as proficient at SQL and PL/SQL as Tony
    I realise I'm just a Luddite. Perhaps if I ever work for a client who uses one of these IDEs as a standard, I will become hooked on it and wonder how I ever coped...

On the other hand, being a contractor I tend to move from client to client, so it helps if I can work with the tools everyone has.

PL/SQL Developer is really nifty. I also used TOAD, but it seems more confusing

Oracle SQL Developer Vs ...

I suppose this thread was before Oracle SQL Developer was released. Hear that the thrust for developing SQL Developer as "FREE but supported" was owing to the expenditure on a 3rd party tool.

Anyway, how would we now compare Oracle SQL Developer with Rapid SQL, TOAD, etc.

Reference: Oracle SQL Developer

Thanks in advance.

I, despite being a confirmed Luddite (see previous posts), use SQL Developer and I like it a lot better than I like Toad. The only downside, due to it's being a Java app, is that it runs rather slowly. However, I use it mostly for browsing the data dictionary, browsing data, and looking at package code: I still develop with TextPad and SQL Plus!