Question Unanswered: Backing up 6 SQL servers over a LAN

We are looking at a backup solution for our 6 SQL7 servers. Oh yes - by that I mean we don't have a backup at the moment....lol

Well - thing is we want to use something like a Dell Powervault 122T tape auto-loader. This means backup up our data over the LAN.

The databases range from 130MB to 120GB and I am wondering if a backup over the LAN is a good idea - we have 100MB LAN using cascaded netgear switches - so no real 'backbone' to speak of....

Is it advisable to attach the tape loader to the SQL server with the largest DB and then pull in the rest? Or, should we use separate tape drives for each SQL server?

Yes, it depends on requirements but getting those is like blood from a stone...so I am looking for something that will do the job and offer a little flexabilty...

I am inclined to think that without a good backbone on the network doing a backup this way is going to take forever?

Many thanks

IMHO, the real question is how much through put can you get at the time you do your backups, what software you are using (mainly what types of backups does it support) and how many tape drives you will be writing to at once.

One solution woulds be for each sql server to write a backup locally and retain for one or two days. Then your backup software only needs to scrape the file off the server.

Another solution would be to add a 2nd NIC to the SQL and Tape Host servers creating a private network. At least you wouldn't be competing for network resources.

If this tape unit will be backing up other servers, Application , File & Prinet etc. I would NOT hang it off of a SQL server, I feel that a File and Print server or Domain controler would be a better choice as these servers tend to have spare cycles for such things.

One additional thing to consider is RESTORE time. If your main SQL server goes down and a restore from tape is required can you afford the time to wait for the restore?

Any strategy would be better than nothing!
    Paul Young
    (Knowledge is power! Get some!)

I like the idea of it having it's own little network....

It is likely to be a single tape autoloader. The network is simply a load of cascaded switches so a server at the top being backed up to a server at the bottom could take ages...

Perhaps dumping to disk and then backing these files up using the dedicated network is the soution until we have a proper network....

I have seen cascaded hubs, I am assuming you mean hubs not switches, do okay PROVIDED there is little traffic. This may not be your case when you start your backups.

If backing up takes to long or causes to much traffic then this might be an argument to upgrade the network architecture.
    Paul Young
    (Knowledge is power! Get some!)

Originally posted by Paul Young
    I have seen cascaded hubs, I am assuming you mean hubs not switches, do okay PROVIDED there is little traffic. This may not be your case when you start your backups.

If backing up takes to long or causes to much traffic then this might be an argument to upgrade the network architecture.
    No - these are switches - the uplink from one is connected to a port on another...there is a hub in there somehwere but no idea where yet!