Red face Unanswered: Crosstab query-monthwise dates

Dear All

I have a crosstab query. In it there is one field for Analysis date that has been set to group by months. The query is linked to a report.

Analysis date ranges over 2-3 years. But when I get data of report, it presents the dates as Jan, Feb, Mar etc. and presents all data say for January of all three years under Jan. I want the data to be presented as Jan-01 (for year 2001), Jan-02 (for year 2002) and so on. I have tried to change the date format on crosstab query design grid, but did not work.

Please help me.

Re: Crosstab query-monthwise dates

Instead on using month(date_fld) as your field, try using:
    FORMAT(date_fld,"mmm-yy")

Good Look!

IONUT

Red face

Thank you very much for your reply.

I have actually tried it before. When I change the format to "mmm-yy"in crosstab query and run it, nothing appears under months, it doesn't display any data.

Any other suggestion? Looking forward to your reply.

I'm not sure where did you put it in your query.

Your query designer should look like this:

__________________________________________________ ______
    Field: [ClientName] Month: Format([DateField],"mmm-yy") [Val]
    -------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Table: [...] [...]
    Total: Group By Group By Sum
    Crosstab: Row Heading Column Heading Value
    Sort:
    Criteria: NO CRITERIA DEFINED

If above doesn't work, I am speachless because I've tried my self on a small set of data and it had worked fine.

IONUT

ionut calin

Thank you for your reply. I was away for some days that is why it took that long to respond.

You were right, it should have worked like that. When I was changing the date format in already created crosstab query design grid where the date was set as format by month (mmm), nothing was happening but when I created new crosstab query and instead of selecting 'month' for date during wizared, I selected 'date' and later in crosstab design grid I changed format to 'mmm-yy' and it worked. Don't know why but it did the trick.

Thanks again.

That's just one more bug from Microsoft.

The same problem I experienced in MS SQL Server 2k, SP2. When I changed the lenght of a field in one table, the view that was made on that table just refused to work anymore. I had to delete the view and re-create it.

For SQlServer I have an answer: it writes informations for fields when the view is first created in a systemtable, and than "forgets" to update those information when I change the field in its original table. It might be possible that Access is working in the same way.

IONUT