Question Unanswered: Problem when select and insert together

My Problem is as follows

I have a process ( daemon process ) [ say proc 1 ] which keeps on inserting data in to a table ( a huge table.having partitions ). as an when it gets input.

I have another process [ say proc2 ] needs to select from this table data based on certains things...This query has quite a many order by fileds..also in it.

The question i have is , when my proc2 is doing select ( generally takes 1 hour ). If at the same time is proc1 is inserting data say in the same block that proc2 was selecting. Does Oracle rollbacks what it has selected and starts selecting again ??..

Talking

Hi,

The answer to your question depends upon several factors.. Generally, when u do a insert or a select a table/row level is put on the object (depending upon the type of DML you use), so there is no reason why Oracle should rollback..

Rama

Re: Problem when select and insert together

Originally posted by newtooracle
    My Problem is as follows

I have a process ( daemon process ) [ say proc 1 ] which keeps on inserting data in to a table ( a huge table.having partitions ). as an when it gets input.

I have another process [ say proc2 ] needs to select from this table data based on certains things...This query has quite a many order by fileds..also in it.

The question i have is , when my proc2 is doing select ( generally takes 1 hour ). If at the same time is proc1 is inserting data say in the same block that proc2 was selecting. Does Oracle rollbacks what it has selected and starts selecting again ??..

No, Oracle does not 'Rollback' on a select statement. Oracle gaurantees read consistency, which means the select statement will return the data as it looked the instance the select started. The result is, if any new rows were inserted after the select statement started, but before it completed, they would not be returned in the select statements result set.

HTH,
    Patrick

Red face still a question !

One more question !!.

According to what i read in oracle documents and books. Oracle fetches data in blocks. Now when it starts the select if must certainly have a time stamp of that instance with it. Say it was selecting from block 1. In the mean time some proc1 inserted in block 2.
    Now when it tries to select from block2 it sees that the timestamp is updated hence it rollbacks the selected block and starts selecting. If it doesn't do so then it get data from block1 from another time and block2 for another time..what say !!!????????????

Oracle captures the SCN (System Change Number) when the select statement starts. Based on the SCN, Oracle knows what data is consistent with your query and what is "newer".

See http://download-west.oracle.com/docs...ntro.htm#44618 for details.