Thread: Survey design

Unanswered: Survey design

Hello,

I have an internet survey consisting of 21 questions plus a personal
    info section at the beginning (name, city, country, e-mail etc.)

The survey replies are automatically e-mailed to me. Each field in the
    survey has a name and the replies look something like:

Field1=answer1
    Field2=answer2
    Field3=answer3
    etc.

Sometimes fields are skipped depending upon whether the question
    applies to the respondent.

Can someone tell me how to set up an Access db to import this data?
    Firstly, should all the data go into one table?
    Secondly how do I actually get the data into the table(s), (remembering some fields are left out in the survey replies) ?

Thanks very much! Eric G

Re: Survey design

As I see you get the answer in text mode from web directly to your email.
    I would suggest you that you import text to table, specified columns with paragraphs. This would even take in consider unanswered fields like
    Fieldx=
    This you can do with Excel, Word and Access just look little more for it.
    As I can see the fields are different and they don't have multiple answers, so I don't see the need to make more than one table. That you can do when you have more then one answer for question (from one user). Anyway spliting the table and making relationships is not a problem with MS ACCESS (you can use queries for that).
    You can than make some queries that indicate how many answers for a field were left blank etc etc.

hope I helped a bit.
    L.u.f.t.a.r.i

Hi Luftari,

Thanks for your reply, I really appreciate it!

>> I would suggest you that you import text to table, specified columns with paragraphs. This would even take in consider unanswered fields like
    Fieldx=

I should make myself clearer now. Here's what happens when two people respond differently to questions:

Person A
    Field16=No
    Field17=Text here related to Field16 answer.
    Field20=No
    Field21=

Person B
    Field17=
    Field21=

So sometimes fields aren't just blank, they are left out completely, as above.

>>As I can see the fields are different and they don't have multiple answers, so I don't see the need to make more than one table.

Many questions do have multiple answers (checking off several boxes etc.) as well as an 'other' box to write their own answer.

Thanks! Eric

I should make myself clearer now. Here's what happens when two people respond differently to questions:

Person A
    Field16=No
    Field17=Text here related to Field16 answer.
    Field20=No
    Field21=

Person B
    Field17=
    Field21=

So sometimes fields aren't just blank, they are left out completely, as above.
    >>I've been wondering why you didn't just configured for a default value of the fields in case there is no answer.
    >>It will take you time to work on this answer, so I suggest you to make a macro in Excel to import text in Excel spreadsheet and from there to export to Access

Many questions do have multiple answers (checking off several boxes etc.) as well as an 'other' box to write their own answer.
    >>but I think every box is marked as a single field, isn't so.
    When I say multiple answer is that when you collect some information i.e for certificates and want to save the records in one table like [certificates].

Wish you the best

Thanks! Eric [/SIZE][/QUOTE]